4152 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Increasing hard disk space - DL380 G2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Claire Barker

Increasing hard disk space - DL380 G2

Okay, I need to increase disk space for a DL380 G2. It currently has the max of 4 HDDs, running as RAID 1+0 (Smart Array 5i).

Is my only choice to expand to buy 4 larger HDDs, build from scratch and restore all the data?
4 REPLIES 4
Robert Binkhorst
Trusted Contributor

Re: Increasing hard disk space - DL380 G2

No, you can also add external storage. Then you could use the internal disks for OS and put all your application data on the external storage array.

Have a look at this Proliant storage page:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/sharedstorage/index.html

HTH,

Robert
linux: the choice of a GNU generation
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You are having 4 hdd, but you can add two more on same part information
72.8-GB Wide Ultra3 SCSI 10,000 rpm Drive (1" ) 232432-B22

So, you can configure new raid for data storage.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

Another option we have available is 4 - 146GB drives, but also 72 and 36GB. And yes you can replace them one at a time and use a High Priority rebuild to restripe that data to each drive as you replace it. Once finished you replace the next and so on. At the end you will have free space it extend a partition or create a new.
A faster solution if you can take it down, is to backup and restore to newly installed drives of larger size. If you have a bcakup device that is.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Claire Barker

Thanks for all your help!

I'll try building each disk at a time until they are all replaced (with a full backup, just in case... it's a critical server!).