ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753530 Members
4750 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Increasing server storage space (Raid 1)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dizaro
Occasional Contributor

Increasing server storage space (Raid 1)

I'm a newbie, so please bear with me. The IT manager has departed and now I have to hold the fort with what little server knowledge I have.
We have a proliant ML570 with two SCSI arrays, both are RAID 1 (I think).
I need to increase the storage space, we currently have two Ultra 320 SCSI 10k drives (72.8GB each). I'm assuming that it is RAID 1 as we have two drives but only 50% of the capacity shows up? Anyways, can I just remove one drive, replace it with a larger drive and let it rebuild, then do the same to the second drive?
once again, please excuse my lack of knowledge!
2 REPLIES 2
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, you can replace both drives, one at a time and let the RAID rebuild each time (center green LED NOT blinking anymore).
You'll end with a RAID with a 72 GB logical unit and some free space. You can use this space to create a new logical unit or extend the existing one.
Then the OS will see the disk as bigger. But the RAID does not modify the filesystem, that has to be done from the OS.

after replacing the drive with a larger drive and rebuilding it and when done with both the drives, you will have to run ACU and do array expansion and extension to add the additional space to the logical drives.