1753862 Members
7516 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Initial equipment setup

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Initial equipment setup

I am setting up a new server and have a T700 UPS. There are two serial ports on the server, A and B. Which one should I use for the UPS serial cable? The mouse is P/S2.

Also, are all four of the output receptacles protected by battery backup or are some of them only surge protectors? Which is which if they are not all battery backed?
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If any of the ports on the UPS were only surge protectors, it would be noted on the UPS. They are all battery backup sockets.

It doesn't matter which serial port you use. The software will only support COM1 or 2 in the OS, but the physical port isn't an issue (make sure you note which it is in System Configuration).
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I used serial port A which worked.
There is no indication on the T700 UPS that some of the receptacles are only surge protectors, nor is it in the manual. However I was told by our IT department that two sockets are only surge protectors and I was trying to confirm that by asking Compaq. I was told to use a surge protector receptacle for the monitor as it doesn't need battery backup.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

According to my records... They are all UPS sockets - except (of course) the modem/phone line port. That's just for surge protection.