6908 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Inplace Upgrade of NT4.0 to Win2000 for DL380 Server

Alan Tan_2
Occasional Contributor

Inplace Upgrade of NT4.0 to Win2000 for DL380 Server

Greetings,

Hi, i have a DL380 Proliant Server running on OS WinNT4.0 SP6. This is a PDC. I am using the integrated smart array controller and configure Raid 1 for this system (2 x 18.2GB)

Recently, i intend to do a inplace upgrade of this server to Win2000 SP4. I have a few worries,

1) Will the present intrgated smart array controller card pose any driver problem if i upgrade my OS to Win2000?
2) If i want to break my present raid 1 to raid 5, so as to accomdate more harddisk, what is the best way to do so? I am thinking of removing one the 2 low capacity harddisk in drive 1(18.2G) and replace it with a high capacity (72GB) harddisk. After mirroring, i will remove the other low capacity in drive 0 and again replace it with a new high capacity harddisk. After mirroring is completed, i will convert the raid 1 to raid 5 and add another 2 more high capacity harddisk. Will this work?
3) What other things/issue i have to take note before doing an inplace upgrade.

Thanks for any advise
2 REPLIES 2
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Re: Inplace Upgrade of NT4.0 to Win2000 for DL380 Server

First need to know if this is a DL380(G1), DL380G2, or DL380G3.

Verify the integrated Smart Array 5i firmeware is current before making any changes
Alan Tan_2
Occasional Contributor

Re: Inplace Upgrade of NT4.0 to Win2000 for DL380 Server

Hi, thanks for your advise. I m using a DL380 proliant server (not g2 or g3). I think the firmware of my integrated array card is quite outdated. Thanks for reminding me abt upgrading the firmware. Is there any other things i should take note off? I would actually prefer to do it from afresh but as this is a PDC, i have no choice but to do a inplace upgrade. Thanks