1753969 Members
7230 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Inserting PCI cards in ProLiant G6/G7

Anne Prins

Inserting PCI cards in ProLiant G6/G7

Hello,

Is there any working solution to make it possible placing PCI (not PCI-X or PCIe) cards in a ProLiant DL360/380 G6/G7 server?

There is a PCI-X riser option available, but some notes in the HP Product Bulletin clearly state that this option only supports PCI-X.

We need a PCI slot for a Technotrend C-1501 DVB input card, and we really want to use a HP server for this purpose. The software supplier also suggests to use an HP DL360/380.
3 REPLIES 3
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

PCI-X slots are backward compatible for all 3.3v or universal PCI adapters (PCI-X or not). If this card is a 5v only PCI adapter, then I think you're out of luck.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Anne Prins

Terry,

That's what we thought at first, but when we looked into the HP Product Bulletin and saw the notes (see the attachment) we began to doubt if it is going to work that way.

At this moment we're not so sure anymore.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

It should not matter with this riser. I see your point on the note regarding this. I would bet they mean it's not meant for PCI-X AND PCIe, but I can't be sure about that.

I have been doing some looking around and cannot find anything documented about specific issues regarding standard PCI adapters in these risers.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..