108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Insight Manager 7 won't detect Windows Server 2003 servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Insight Manager 7 won't detect Windows Server 2003 servers

I'm running Insight Manager 7 SP2 on a Windows Server 2003 DL360 G2. After working around the funky Java 1.3.1_02 (an unsupported version by Sun) install issue on 2003, I was able to run a discovery.

IM7 picked up my iLOs, and then lists the rest of my 2003 servers as unknown devices. They are all running PSP 6.40. If I click on the unknown device in IM 7 it does show a few links to the PSP agents, and some other Proliant specific stuff.

But it can't detect what model they are or fully know what they are.

What's the problem? They are all on the same subnet and can easily ping and see each other.
5 REPLIES 5
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

Re: Insight Manager 7 won't detect Windows Server 2003 servers

This is a known 'problem' with W2K3 since it has more security features enabled i.e. SNMP security is also enhanced.
You'll have to allow your IM7 server to have SNMP access to your W2K3 servers by adding it to the SNMP security of these servers.
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Could you be more specific on what rights and where that I need to adjust?
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor
Solution

See page 8 in this document:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/partners/microsoft/dotnet/WindowsServer2003/tc0304011in.pdf
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!
Jesse Gardner
Advisor

Derek,

Did you ever get 2003 Servers with PSP 6.4 properly identified in IM7? We're now just bringing up some 2003 servers, and I'm seeing the same problem. I have to manually add them in, and even then they show up as an Unknown Device. To be blunt, I've got the 'public' community name set in both places, and the 2003 server(s) are set to "Accept SNMP packets from any host". public is READ/WRITE.
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Ya they work just fine.