1753540 Members
5547 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Insight Manager 7

Dave Wilga

Insight Manager 7

Greetings,

My staff has been going 20 rounds with HP support personnel on this issue -- I thought I might ask in this forum where there may be a little less pressure for instantaneous answers. The HP phone techs, while helpful, have not yet found the solution to this seemingly simple question:

How do we manage our rack of BL-20p blades with the visual "view" depicted in the attachment? This is the last Insight Manager example image on your web page at: http://h41102.www4.hp.com/products/servers/proliant-bl/p-class/20p/benefits.html

While OUR Insight Manager (7.0 SP2.3) comes up fine, allowing us to see blades, enclosures, OS's, etc... in a tabular format, it DOES NOT show, or at least it is not intuitive as to where to find the graphical view of which blade is in which slot etc... Please advise on where to look for this (seemingly) very helpful view of our environment within your software product, and/or how to make it appear.

5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

That graphical representation is presented on the Device page under "Container Information" when all the planets are in alignment. What does that mean? In order for IM7 to have the information it needs to draw the picture, first the management bus needs to be connected (power supply shelf to first enclosure, first enclosure to second enclosure, etc), then the enclosure information needs to be initialized (connecting to an iLO that is in a blade in the enclosure and using the 'BL p-Class' tab to enter information for the enclosure), and then the iLO needs to be a discovered item in every blade in the rack and needs to be associated by IM7 with the blade.

The first place to start is to try to view the "All Enclosures" query. That should give you a display of all of the enclosures that IM7 knows about. You would see something like a table with Device Type being Enclosure and the Device Name reflecting things like 'Enclosure1 in Rack Rack1.' Clicking on the enclosure's name should bring you to a query displaying all of the blades in the enclosure. Clicking on the name of one of the blades will show you the Device page with Device Information, Device Links and Container Information.

If you think you've done everything correctly, and it still is not displaying, go back and make sure the enclosure and power supply firmware is up-to-date as well as the iLO firmware on every blade. Make sure you have the iLO response (Administration tab --> SNMP/Insight Manager settings) set to high.

There is some helpful information in a whitepaper titled "iLO technologies in the ProLiant BL p-Class" whitepaper at

http://www.hp.com/servers/manage --> iLO Advanced --> Documents
Dave Wilga

Thanks, we'll take this to heart and hope Venus gets aligned with Mars as we follow your roadmap to success.
Donald Stubbs
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, repeated attempts to download or open this whitepaper have failed.
Could this be rectified by your web team. Many documents on HP's site seem to be having some of the same issues.

Thanks

Don Stubbs
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

I was able to download it and attach it to this message.

I'd encourage you (and anyone else having this trouble) to use the link for 'Feedback to Webmaster' :

http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/web_feedback.html

Problem reports originating from customers are taken very seriously. I know in the past when there are pages that I was responsible for had a problem, the webmaster routed the problem to me quickly and managed the problem until I provided a solution.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Sorry, attachment is on this message.