3656 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Install OS withouth smart start

Parisa_1
Occasional Contributor

Install OS withouth smart start

Hello,
If I want to install OS on dl300 series without using smart start media, what can I do? when I'm installing windows 2003 or XP , it needs driver for RAID to start. how can I make the floppy to install OS on a raided server? From where I can find the files?
4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, to help you we need to know which RAID controller you have.

Does your server have a floppy? For 2003 (I doubt XP is supported but the drivers might work..).

If you go to this link:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-001&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=241644&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_page=hpcomтМй=en&cc=us

Then click your way down to your specific model, then "download drivers", then Windows 2003 and then under the section "Driver - Storage Controller" you have a few options. Which one to chose depends on which RAID ctrl your server has.

You should be able to tell which controller you have by looking at the screen during POST.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

IMHO you cannot run XP because of the drivers, but why not installing 2003 WITH smartstart???

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

XP or any workstation OS is not supported. 2003 R2 x64 would be a better choice for a server. R2 version has better server support. Yes, you can install a server without smart start. You would need to get the proper RAID drivers and hit F6 and install them first. You need to create the RAID arrays at the hardware level before installing the OS. Smart Start just installs the latest drivers and makes the configuration easier. You can google

ex: DL 380 G5 drivers

It will take you to the driver page on HP web site.
Parisa_1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you.