1752421 Members
6084 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Install Ubuntu on DL360 G5?

dhugiaskmak

Install Ubuntu on DL360 G5?

Hello,

I have recently inherited a ProLiant DL360 G5 that is currently running CentOS 5. I would like to install Ubuntu server on it instead, and I went to the Ubuntu site and followed their instructions to create a bootable USB installer. (This server does not have an optical drive.)

When I insert the USB drive into my server and reboot, the server does not boot from the USB stick. I've made sure that USB is the first boot device in the BIOS and I've verified that the USB port on the server is functional and the USB drive is good.

What do I need to do to get the server to recognize the USB drive and install Ubuntu? Is there a different or better program that I should use to prepare the USB drive? I tried a couple of different Windows programs, is there a Linux utility that will do the job?

(Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here. I don't have a great deal of experience setting up servers, I'm primarily a developer.)

Thank you
1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Install Ubuntu on DL360 G5?

Will the USB stick boot in another system? At times I've had ProLiants not want to boot from a USB stick. What normally gets it all working is to reset the system ROM to factory defaults.

Boot into RBSU (F9 during POST) go into Advanced Options -> Restore Factory Defaults.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!