10212 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Install Win Server 2008 on ML370 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
KL Bailey

Install Win Server 2008 on ML370 G5

I have an ML370 G5 with a P400 controller, mirrored 72 gig SAS drives, 4 gig RAM.

Using SmartStart 8.3, I'm trying to install Windows Standard Server 2008. After the files are copied, I accept the agreement and I go right to a window telling me the installation was canceled. The partition selected for installation (1) does not exist on disk 0.

I have verified that I do have a partition on these drives. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or how I can get around this?
5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Install Win Server 2008 on ML370 G5

Heya, have you tried to run the installation manually and see if that works?

Sometimes it helps to eraze the server prior to starting the installation. You can do this via smartstart or BIOS.
KL Bailey

Yes, I tried to do the install manually and didn't have any luck with that either. It did, however, show me why the install via SmartStart was failing. For whatever reason, the drive array that was on the second RAID controller had an ID of disk 0 where the array on the primary controller that I wanted to install to had an ID of disk 1. After I saw that, I wiped out all of the arrays and recreated them. From there I was able to get Windows to install.

Thanks for the reply
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Good stuff :)

Thanks
KL Bailey

Clear configuration of both RAID controllers and recreate arrays from scratch. Installation was successful after recreating arrays.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Don't forget to give points :)