1748031 Members
5131 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Install Windows 2000 on PL1600

Tim_136

Install Windows 2000 on PL1600

Hi -

I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 6/400 512 64 with a Smary Array 2SL controller that I need to install a clean build of Windows 2000 on.

Two issues however:

1. I can't get the thing to boot off the CD (I have tried reseting the NVRAM).
2. Even if the boot to CD option worked I don't have a Smart Start CD.

I verified that the CD Rom drive works by tossing in a Win98 Boot disk and can access the CD that way.

I have tried to set the CD Rom as the primary boot device to no avail.

I have tried to make boot floppies (4) of W2K, but can't locate a driver that, when you press F6, will work for the Smart Array controller.

Any help will be much appreciated as I am about ready to drop the thing 36 floors to the street.

Thanks.

TR
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Install Windows 2000 on PL1600

Hello Tim,
I understand your frustration but by dropping the server 36 Floors is not going to help you either :). Anyways what you basically need to do is create System Configuration disks from the following link:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html
You need four formatted floppies and COLD boot your system with the first diskette and then follow the online instructions. I am appending the link for your server related software as well.
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1126.html
For Windows 2000 you do not need any drivers for Smart 2SL since this controller is supported by W2K natively. Please feel free to order the Smart Start CC by calling 1-800-573-1099. Please let us know as to how do you make out.

Regards,
The Flash

Hello go here
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/14317.html
make the floppy start the install and hit F6 choose have disk and insert the floppy it might show different drivers to choose from one will work its been a while since i did this but this worked for me.

thanks
Tim_136

<
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html
You need four formatted floppies and COLD boot your system with the first diskette and then follow the online instructions. I am appending the link for your server related software as well.
>>

This still did not work. I still can't get the server to boot from CD Rom. Any other suggestions?

TIA

TR
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Tim,
One more thing you can try is Clearing NVRAM for which you would need the System Configuration utility Disks as well. Here is how it's done:
How To Clear NVRAM Via the SCU With SCU Diskettes

NOTE: Please insert proper diskette when prompted throughout the procedure.

1. Cycle the power on the Server and insert Diskette 1 to access the System Configuration Utility.
2. At the Compaq System Configuration Screen you are prompted to ???press any key to continue???.
3. You are now at the MAIN MENU. You must now press ???Ctrl-A??? at this point to be able to access the ADVANCED FEATURES. When Prompted ???ok=enter??? then press the Enter key.
4. Five choices are now available; Choose SYSTEM CONFIGURATION and press ENTER.
5. CONFIGURE HARDWARE is now Highlighted, Press ENTER. The configuration files are now being loaded; this will take between 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Once the configuration is complete a menu pops-up and the choices are ???Save configuration and exit??? or ???Review of Modify hardware setting??? - Choose ???Review or modify hardware settings???
7. There are now five choices in a menu. Choose the third option, which is VIEW OR EDIT DETAILS.
8. Scroll down to the ADVANCED FEATURES menu title, which is located approximately halfway through the menu of options.
9. Select ERASE NON-VOLATILE MEMORY and press ENTER.
10. You are now prompted for two choices YES or NO. Choose YES and press ENTER.
11. Erase Non-Volatile Memory Confirm Yes or No. Choose YES and press ENTER
12. Prompted to shut off server and run the System Configuration. (Turn Off and Wait 10 Seconds)
13. Reboot with Diskette 1 in the floppy drive.
14. The Compaq System Configuration Screen will now come up.
15. At the Auto Configuration Menu you will receive a Message: ???Your Computer reported a configuration error. Would you like your computer configured automatically? Yes or No??? Choose YES
16. You will be prompted with a message: ???Use SCI (System Configuration Information) that was backed up in the SCI? Yes or No.??? Choose NO. The backup is a copy of your original configuration that you just erased.
17. You will now be prompted to choose your Operating System and for the Date and Time.
18. The Configuration Files are now going to be loaded.
19. You are now going to be prompted to 1) Save the configuration and exit 2) Review and Modify Hardware Settings

Choose Save the Configuration and exit.

20. You are now prompted to press ENTER to finish. At this point the server will reboot automatically with the new system configuration. Please remove all diskettes.

Regards,