108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Install Windows XP professional on DL 380 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
SAN-Beginner
Occasional Advisor

Install Windows XP professional on DL 380 G5

I am trying to install Windows XP Professional on DL380 G5 Server. I know HP doesnt support Windows XP. I have integrated the drivers for RAID, P400 controller for Windows 2K/2K3 along with the XP-SP3 CD and tried to boot but it is not detecting the hard drives to install the OS on. I do not have a floppy drive, so booting from XP SP2 CD and then press F6 and inserting the floppy disk with drivers is out of question!

If anyone is successful out here with this procedure please lend me hand. It would be really appreciable if you could send me the links for those drivers which are apt.
NB: I have referred all the threads and links ffrom google! :) So don't refer them and give me an answer! :)
11 REPLIES 11
Vince Wu

Hi, This topic has been discussed perviously.
But I just did that last week.
You need to download P400 driver for win2K from HP website, and extra them into a folder.
Then use nLite to rebuild your own XP installation disk. with P400 driver as text-driver.
Then you can install XP for your DL380 G5.
SAN-Beginner
Occasional Advisor

Yes, thanks you for the post!

Which SP did you use along with the XP installation kit? Is it SP2 or SP3?
Vince Wu

As my experience, p400 driver for win2k3 is not working for xp installation, it will pop up a error message saying "hpcisss2" has problems. Thus, find the win2k driver only for your xp.
Secondly, has to include this drive as text-mode, otherwise, windows will not run it before installation.
For your questions, I did that with SP3.
SAN-Beginner
Occasional Advisor

Alright, I have downloaded the driver from this link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-14d51ba97db64893875cdc7607

I have extracted the exe file and I am trying to create an image with integrating this driver with the XP CD(Still I am doubtful which SP should I try with) using nlite application. But, there is no inf file within the extrcted folder. Can someone help me out? Is there any other way?

Refer the attachment please.
SAN-Beginner
Occasional Advisor

But the P400 driver for Windown 2K and Windows 2K3 are both the same. Thats what HP says! :(

Refer attachment please
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Abhilash:

It is doubtful that the driver HP provides for Win2K and WS03 for the SA-P400 are the same. Please download and extract the driver. I would imagine that there is a Win2K SCSIport driver and a WS03 Storport driver. Windows XP Professional x86 (32-bit) only supports SCSIport drivers.
SAN-Beginner
Occasional Advisor

Kedd,

If you could spend a bit time for me, please refer this link.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134
&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-14d51ba97db64893875cdc7607

I guess this is the right driver I have to download. I have downloaded this driver and extracted. But there is no inf file in it. Or if this is not the right link could u please send me the right link. I am really bad at this and this is my first time tryin to install XP :(

I highly appreciate your help!
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor
Solution

Abhilash:

The URL you provided is not a driver--it is a firmware upgrade.

Following is the Smart Array SAS/SATA Controller (SA-P400) (SCSIport) driver for Win2K which is what I would try:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=181&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-02e42aa767e64887be27307455

SAN-Beginner
Occasional Advisor

Kedd,

I owe you a beer bud! Thanks for helpinf me out!

Ok, So I will explain here what I have done to install Windows XP Pro on HP Proliant server DL380 G5. This may be helpful to a NOOB like me :)

1. I have downloaded nlite first. It is an image making software(as far as I know).
2. Go to the page Kedd has suggested in his post or download the driver for the storage controller he had suggested for Windows2k3.
3. Now using nlite integrate the driver with the Windows XP Pro in text mode and create a bootable iso. nlite is a user friendly application and anyone can do it.
4. Now insert the CD into the CD ROM of your HP Server and proceed with the usual installation steps for Windows XP.

Cheers to all!