4868 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Install debian (etch) on DL140G3 with HP embedded RAID1

Cedric_8
Advisor

Install debian (etch) on DL140G3 with HP embedded RAID1

Hello,

I have a DL140G3 server with 2 SATA disks.
I have configured the bios to enable embedded RAID.
I have built an array with the 2 disks, configured as RAID1 by pressing F8 at bootup.

My issue is that debian installer still sees 2 hard drives instead of only one.
I think this might be due to the fact that I can't find any drivers for HP embedded raid for debian.
I know debian is not supported for proliant but is there a chance I can succeed in finding such drivers, even unsupported ?
I would really prefer using HP RAID rather than sofware raid which is quite a pain to configure with debian.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Angel Borisov

I have exactly the same case.
Can someone give some help plz.

PS. i tried with hpacucli tool, but there are alot of misunderstanding help information for me, and cant build anything (dunno how if thats possible).

Thanks in advance,
Angel Borisov
Cedric_8
Advisor

Hello,

Actually I discovered that Software Raid with debian was not that complicated at all.
So I finally went for that solution.
Hope this helps.

Cedric.
Angel Borisov

Hi,
yeah, i know, but why to use soft raid when i have hardware raid inside my DL 140....
I guess this is the proper guide for soft raid:
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/238

Gl to all and, i hope HP to make some decent and useful help on that kind of topics.
Nigel Mayo (Home)

Cedric,

I found the same problem from many users when I researched the purchase of my ML150G3.

The 'embedded' RAID system is not a true hardware controller and therefore is not recognised by Debian. I never found any drivers.

If you want to give software RAID another go I'm sure I saw instructions specific to the Proliant on the 'net when I was researching.

The other option is to install a hardware RAID controller as I did (Adaptec 2420sa), which is recognised easily by Etch. The only problem was cables if you're running to a hot-swap backplane - the ignorance of Adaptec, HP and Seagate is incredible.