ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748180 Members
4002 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Install failing to identify the Array Controller with correct drivers.

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Install failing to identify the Array Controller with correct drivers.

I am trying to install NT 4.0 TSE on a Proliant 360DL and during the isntall when it is searching for the mass storage devices, I enter the Compaq Array Controller driver I downloaded from the website and the install fails to use the driver. Does anyone have any ideas?
16 REPLIES 16
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Install failing to identify the Array Controller with correct drivers.

when the screen first turns blue (Setup is detecting hardware), or something to that affect, you need to press F6. You will later be asked for the floppy that has the driver files for the controller on it. It would be easier if you used smart start to install the OS (I am not positive, but I think it MAY support a TSE install). That way, all the drivers, etc. that you need for the installation are already there and the install should be fast and easy. If an Assisted integration does not support TSE, then you will have to do the F6 thing booting from the TSE media.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You need to install the required drivers from the Compaq SSD for NT 4.0 from this web address.
http://www5.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/9192.html

Scroll down the page and download the floppy drive version. See the readme files on the disks for installation instructions.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Lord Compaq?????????????
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have come across the same problem with NT4 TSE on a DL360. I followed the instructions to get SSD disc 2 and manually selected the mass storage.
I found that it would only put Array/42xx/43xx/43x Controller in to the list of devices found, but when I take the next step, it would come back with the same answer, "cannot find mass storage" press F3 to exit. (It automatically found IDE cdrom Atapi 1.2, no problem). Any other hints?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have the same problem. I've tried the F6 option on installation and still
can not get NT 4.0 to recognize the hard drive. Compaq software see's
the hard drives just fine and I can run all the diagonstics I want. I just
can NOT get the NT drivers to work. I've tried all the drivers I can download from Compaq to no avail. I'm trying to use NT 4.0 Workstation (not supported according to Compaq support) but that should not make any difference at this stage of installation. Please reply to this post if you've been able to get this to work.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I had the same problem installing NT 4.0 Workstation. NT 4.0 Workstation does not support any type of RAID configs so I removed the Array Controller and then when I was doing the install of NT I used the F6 option and specified the Compaq 32 bit SCSI-2 Drivers and it found the drive without any problem. This is all unsupported from Compaq.....use at own risk.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I got the TS install to work on the DL360. Here's how I did it:

1- Manually configure the hardware using SmartStart. Don't do an Assisted Config, do a manual config. Choose "Microsoft Terminal Server v4.0" which is at the bottom of the list when prompted for the O/S selection.
2- Once the hardware is setup, don't try and install TS booting from the CD and pressing the F6 button to specify the Array Controller method. It didn't work for me either.
3- Create the 3 Terminal Server Boot disks (winnt32 /ox) from the i386 directory on the CD.
4- Download the correct drivers from Compaq SSD from http://www5.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/9192.html. (See Above Message from Compaq) Ensure that you download the diskette version. (Towards the bottom of the page) Once downloaded, run the utility included to expand the disks and only expand disk 2. That's the disk for the Array drivers.
5- Boot the server using the TS setup disk 1.
6- During the second disk install, it will try to find the mass storage devices. It will only find the IDE devices. (CD-Rom, etc)
7- Press S to specify an additional mass storage device and choose Other. Place the Compaq 2nd SSD disk you made from above in the drive and press enter.
8- Choose the "Integrated Smart Controller\4xxx\4xxx driver". Do not pick the normal NT Compaq Array Controller drive at the top of the list.
9- Once it finds the driver and the disks, setup will bring you to the partition screen. I had a partition already setup but I deleted and recreated a new one.
10- Setup will then ask you for disk 3. It will load some files.
11- Setup will then prompt you for the TS CD. Place it in the drive and hit enter.
12- Setup will ask you one more time for the 2nd Compaq SSD disk with the array driver.
13- Setup then copies the files to the hard drives.
14 - The server boots and converted the partition to NTFS then booted again to the usual TS setup.

This is the only way I got this to work. The Assisted config didn't work nor did booting off the TS CD work.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am struggling through the same issue installing TN server 4.0. If I follow the same steps outlined here about the Terminal server install would this work for regular TN 4.0? I will try it and find out.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

That was NT 4.0 I am setting up not TN