ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752775 Members
6145 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Install more disk to ML370 G5

Russel Gonzalez

Install more disk to ML370 G5

I would like to add more disk space to my ml370g5. It has two 72.5 hdd installed which is raid 1. I want to add two 146 gb in addition to the two 72.5 already installed. How do I this. Thank you in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

In RAID you don't want to mix drive sizes, smallest drive wins. so you will waste 1/2 of those drives. I would do another RAID 1 array with those 146GB. Use the 72GB for your OS. Move your applications and data to the new RAID 1 array.
Russel Gonzalez

how to create a new raid.

how to move applications to new raid.

would this require a reinstallation of windows and all my applications.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Your OS is already on RAID 1 72GB? You would have to reinstall your apps and move data to the new RAID 1 array.

I always do three RAID arrays:
OS
Apps/data
paging/swap

Your server will run better. Your OS will not be fighting with your apps for disk IOs.
Russel Gonzalez

would you recommend to do a complete install since my 75.5 has like 5gb left. in this way only my os would be on the 72.5 and then install all my apps on 146. or simply uninstall all apps from 1st raid and install on 2nd.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Depends on what is on the server. I sometimes do a clean install of the OS to one array and applications to another and then recover the data from tape. You can uninstall and reinstall to the new array and move your data over. Depends on the apps and type of apps/data. SQL and Exchange are more complicated to move. I would start by creating the second array. One logical/extended partition. Move word, excel and powerpoint files first. Start cleaning up the server. User files next. Create apps\word, apps\excel, apps\powerpoint, users\username, etc. Do a full backup to tape first. Never can have enough backups.
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

In this scenario, I would keep the existing 72GB HDD for OS and add new 146GB for data.

You need to install two new 146GB and create a new Raid 1.

To create new raid volume we can use ACU from within the OS.

The new partition will be seen in the disk management of Windows OS.

Then need to create a logical drive with a new drive letter.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

May be this post will help you more.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Unable-to-create-new-array-or-LUN-on-DL-380-G7/m-p/4739269#M108769

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Russel Gonzalez

Is there an HP software that would allow me to image and recover to the new hdd's.

BTW thank you all for commenting.