cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install of OS on ML150 G3 server with 4/8 SAS RAID controller

Gerry O'Connor
Occasional Visitor

Install of OS on ML150 G3 server with 4/8 SAS RAID controller

I am having an issue with loading Server 2003. On boot from CD, I press F6 and select the LSI Logic Fusion-MPT SAS driver (Windows 2000). Driver loads from A:\ ETC and then CD continues. No problem with A:\ access at this point. The floppy drive is a USB floppy.
Partition is chosen and fomatted etc and then it reboots.
On reboot, the install asks for "LSI Logic Fusion-MPT SAS storport driver" in the A:\.
However, the system won't or can't access the A:\ now. So now I can't continue. If I just reboot I get Blue Screen of Death. Any Ideas?
10 REPLIES
Sizhuk Vitaly(ru)
Occasional Advisor

Re: Install of OS on ML150 G3 server with 4/8 SAS RAID controller

download latest driver for 2003 server
http://www.lsi.com/cm/DownloadSearch.do

Servaes
Occasional Visitor

I'm having the same problem, and the solution you mention does not change anything. Windows keeps asking for this driver on the A-drive, but does not react anymore.

Any other solutions ?

Thanks in advance.
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

many people have had the same problem.
there are a few solutions.
first one is to use a "supported" usb floppy drive that system can access at the reboot.

one of this is the HP USB floppy drive.

another one, is to download the "installer" from

www.nliteos.com

run the installer and follow the instructions in order to create a bootable CD that will contain the driver you need.
you will not be propted to press F6 ... etc.

this second solution is also suggested by HP support (happen to me!).

bye.

TJK.

<> Leonardo da Vinci
Servaes
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your fast answer.

I'm creating such a CD, but where can I find the ini-file of this driver to add to the CD ?
alex_383
Advisor

I have the same server with the same card. Make sure you do not upgrade the card. see my posting on that. It is quite tricky.
with regard to your issue, you need to shut off and disable the sas bios for the card to work. see warning from hp: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=501784&prodTypeId=329290&objectID=c00842293

Also, make sure you do not use the smart start cd for install.

Install off the windows cd.

I did it - it works.

You need to download the drivers. and you need a usb floppy disk - press F6.

for drivers see: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?〈=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=501784〈=en&cc=us
Dik H
Advisor

Hi

Use the Nlite software to burn image of your Windows CD & LSI Loigic SAS driver. Boot from the nlite software and install OS. This is the easiest solution and the Nlite software is a freeware.

Else you should use a supported USB floppy drive (e.g Toshiba..)
Servaes
Occasional Visitor

Hi again,

I burned several kinds of CD's, but no CD wants to startup on the HP ML-150 Server. The original Windows CD starts up without problem, but of course doesn't contain the needed LSI Logic driver.
How did you manage to make/burn a CD that really boots up and starts to install Windows with this driver. Or did you change something in the BIOS to let it startup ?

Thanks.
Servaes
Occasional Visitor

It's OK now. It works. I burned the CD with bootable ISO-image directly from nLite (instead of Nero Burning). Now Windows gets installed without any problem.

Thanks to you all.
alex_383
Advisor

Mind my saying that you are losing time for no reason. I installed this twice with out any issue. I just got a usb floppy drive and loaded the driver. I tried your route and it did not work. I burned a cd etc.
maurizio di salvo
Frequent Advisor

thanks a hp support this is a solution.

i have ml 150 g3 with sas lsilogic and 4 hdd 72gb.

you take usb floppy and attach it at your pc xp, when xp see the floppy go in hardware manager---->explode usb controller and click in propriety on your usb device go in advanced and search ID HARDWARE, now write on the paper the second line es: USB\Vid.....2020, respect upper and lower letter. Now thake file txtsetup.oem that you have download with driver hp 8 port sas controller from hp site and in [hardware...]
copy and past last line es: "PCI....." "lsi_sas" and modify writing "USB\Vid........" "usbstor" now your floppy is recognize that w2003 os and don't ask you anymore insert floppy for lsi sas mpt-fusion storport driver.

excuse for my english. i hope i help you.

bye