ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748154 Members
3650 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installation of 2nd processor

M Ahson

Installation of 2nd processor

I have bought a HP ProLiant ML350 G5 Intel Xeon E5420 Quad Core and am trying to install the second processor which is Product code BX80574E5420A MM 898982 Xeon Quad Core processor. The machine does not boot when the second processor is installed. I have called HP and they say that the HP part No which will work is 458265. I went back to the vendor, I purchased the processor from, and he says that the Intel processor is the same part no which has been given to me. I fail to understand why does the second processor is not being accepted and the machine does not boot. Can you kindly tell me if this is the right processor or if something may be wrong with the processor."
13 REPLIES 13
lachuzhnikov
Advisor

Are you sure than your VRM is working?
Try to remove and insert it again (vrm).
M Ahson

Please excuse my ignorance-what does VRM stand for?
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

VRM = Voltage Regulator Module.
It is a small card that produces the correct voltages for the processor.

Sometimes it may also be called PPM = Processor Power Module. (I guess the marketing people wanted to invent a new name for it?)

See page 76 of ML350 G5 Maintenance and Service Guide:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00708990/c00708990.pdf

The PPM for the second processor is listed as item #23.

Please examine the internal health LED status, as listed on pages 78-79 of the document.

MK
MK
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hi you will need the PPM it is extra optional not standard , also try with new cpu in first slot if it works then add second cpu ,

reason to switch the cpu around is because one will have higher stepping and that is best suited to first slot , this is not an unusual issue ,
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

oh
i forgot to mention on this 350 server if all works and the PPM diode is amber , means a faulty power supply , a known issue,all will work fine its just a circuit issue on these power supplies that causes this issue, and lights the diode..
Ed Meadows
Advisor

Mark1234,

I thought that the processor with the LOWER stepping goes in CPU slot 0 (the first slot). Here is an HP forum posting saying the same thing: "The bootstrap processor needs to be the lower of the two." http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=670760
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

higher stepping first the case you refer towas most likely sorted by firmware hence not realy related to stepping, so higher stepping is first primary slot , done it many times..
Ogre

Do you receive any sort of error when you power on the system? Like "Unsupported processor" If you get anything like this you need to remove the new processor, upgrade the Rom Bios firmware and then install the additional processor.
M Ahson

If the system gave an error then we would know what the problem is. The system does not power-on with the 2nd processor. only when we remove the second processor that the system boots. I have not tried the other suggestions but will do this coming weekend.