6021 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installation of PSP using HP SUM fails

Helmut Moltke
Advisor

Installation of PSP using HP SUM fails

Hi,

I am running RHEL 5.5 with the latest updates. I extracted the psp installation archive and ran in the new directory ./hpsum /softwareonly /silent with user root.

PSP file I used:  psp-8.50.rhel5.i686.en.tar.gz

There was no user output (silent), but in the log file  /var/hp/log/localhost/hpsum_log.txt I saw the following:

See LOG 1, summary:

No install was run, due to failed dependencies
Installed Components: None.
  Component File Name: hpacucli-8.50-6.0.noarch.rpm
  Component Name: HP Command Line Array Configuration Utility
  Dependency failed. Its installation requires one or more of the following that is not currently installed or in the install set:
    -  libc.so.6
    -  libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
    -  libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
    -  libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
    -  libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
    -  libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)
    -  libdl.so.2
    -  libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0)
    -  libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.1)
    -  libgcc_s.so.1
    -  libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)
    -  libgcc_s.so.1(GLIBC_2.0)
    -  libm.so.6
    -  libpthread.so.0
    -  libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.0)
    -  libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.1)
    -  libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2)

Exit Code for Target localhost: -1

I have all the required rpms installed:

• compat-libstdc++-296
  • libnl 
  • kernel-devel
  • redhat-rpm-config
  • rpm-build
  • gcc
  • kernel-PAE-devel (using PAE kernel)
The application did install the hba drivers etc correctly (network card, qlogic, ...). I also could install the rpms manually (rpm -ivh xxx.rpm), so did I the same with hpacucli-8.50-6.0.noarch.rpm (wasn't installed by hp sum because of dependency error).
After installing all the rpm's it said it couldn't install because of the dependency error, I got the following log (after reexecuting the hp sum program):
See LOG2, summary:
Example of not executed component:
Component File Name: hp_qla2x00src-mezz-8.02.23-2.noarch.rpm
  Component Name: HP StorageWorks QLogic Fibre Channel Driver for c-Class Blade Servers
  Original Version: None
  New Version: 8.02.23-2
  Installation Result: Unable to execute component
Component File Name: hp_qla2x00src-mezz-8.02.23-2.noarch.rpm  Component Name: HP StorageWorks QLogic Fibre Channel Driver for c-Class Blade Servers  Original Version: None  New Version: 8.02.23-2  Installation Result: Unable to execute component
Exit Code for Target localhost: -3
1) What is wrong? Why did hp sum work as expected.
2) Can I execute hp sum command line, with no silent option (so verbosely)?
3) I got Exit Code -3, what does this mean (nothing found on "HP Smart Update User Manual"). Some components couldn't be installed (Unable to execute component), should this happen (hardware not existing in server etc...)?
6 REPLIES 6
Helmut Moltke
Advisor

Log 1 added as attachement (too long)

Dennis99

I'm running with the same software: RHEL5.5 with all the updates on a DL380G5.

whatever I try, I always get the message:

~/hp/psp# ./hpsum /softwareonly /silent
./hpsum: error while loading shared libraries: libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This basically means I don't have X installed. But that's because I don't need and therefore don't want to run X on my l linux servers.

Am I right in guessing that, in order to install a bunch of software, HP wants me to install X? 

Helmut Moltke
Advisor

bschonec
Occasional Visitor

I have found that even though you don't want to install via the X interface that the HPSUM utilities still need X Window System installed.

Try:

yum -y groupinstall "X Window System"

It sucks but I've not found a way around it.

EEkEEE

I was using a lower version of PSP (v7.8) so I had the prerequisites of rpm-devel and rpm-build.  My repository was not working correctly so downloaded the tar.gz for my system.  It seems that once the software is extracted you can run --
   sh ./hpsum -nui
and it will install.  The -nui is for No User Interface.  This also does not allow any setting changes for snmp or repository setup, but in my case, I already had a PSP intalled and wanted those settings anyway.  I would assume that this would work for a new install as well that does not have X installed - but any snmp configurations would need to be manually as well.

zeroagemain
Frequent Advisor

I realise this is an old thread, but to answer one of the OP's questions, I tend to get HPSUM error code -3 when the version of firmware/software being applied is older than that installed already on one particular component in the set.