Installation of Windows NT 4.0 Server

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Installation of Windows NT 4.0 Server

I have two ML370 and two ML350

when one of ML370 down:

c: fat16 500mb d: 6gb ntfs
hd is compaq scsi 9gb SCSI ID 5

first the c: is somehow corrupted [Last know good menu], i used the erase utility, run smartstart only to get the message of conflicting scsi id over and over again.

move to SCSI ID 3, the conflicting problem disappear.

I run smartstart 4.60 but it will always hang at Hardware Discovery with no display at all. Tried with SmartStart 4.9 it display Hardware Discovery forever..

Later, I use diskette System Utility (The 4 disk). it went fine, but System partition complain it is too small, and only two diskette copied.

Then i just choose the os installation menu (run from booted media).

Now. if run ok with the nt server setup disk with ssd disk2 for compaq scsi
driver but the installation said it has done something to the disc and setup
had to be restarted all over again and again.

Somehow it past that, partition for NT4 was set up, using FAT16. After I NT the partition and copy the NT4 files on it with some diffculties copying files onto it. Tried the process from scratch with different CD ROM Drive and NT 4.0 Server CD.

Now I got message ".... Internal Setup error.... "

I got another ml370 that have last known good menu corrupted recently. Now I am to run my NT 4.0 Server with other PC.

anyway installing win2k , smoothly without SmartStart 4.90 on my ml350.
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Installation of Windows NT 4.0 Server

Hi, If you decide to try another install attempt I sugg to make sure the system rom bios is up to date as well as your array controller if you are using one. If you decide to use smartstart; you have to use version 5.0 minimum (that the version supported). That might explained few of the problem encountered . Also if you have more than a gig of memory you might bring it down temporally for the installation. Also any non essential hardware can be strip down for the installation portion. Also run the erase utility as well prior to an installation. Hope this will help.