ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748061 Members
5871 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installation of a new 18GB HDD in my Compaq Proliant ML350server

Bosa Henry

Installation of a new 18GB HDD in my Compaq Proliant ML350server

I have a Compaq Proliant ML 350 server with two mirrored 9.1 GB HDD's. I wish to install an additional 18GB scsi HDD but I am having problems. When I mount the new HDD the machine will not boot. I have tried to use the profile Floppy and the smartcd but they have all failed. Can anyone help?

NB. I do not want to lose the data on the smaller HDD's because I want to install windows 2003 server software on the new HDD using the user info. on the old HDD's.
10 REPLIES 10
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Since the server is working with OS as preconfigured. What we need to do is touse ACU (Array configuration utility ) Install the Hdd and start the server under OS then under Windows We can configure our driver under RAID.

We can use ACU to add a new Array and assign it as radi 0 and use the HDD since we have one 18 GB hdd only.

Information regardgin the ACU is avaible at following link
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/software-management/acumatrix/index.html

Array Configuration Utility User Guide
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/techpubs/user_reference_guides/239449-004_rev4_us.pdf

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Bosa Henry

Hi Peshant,

Please note that the moment I install the new 18GB HDD even with the old HDD's present, the machine will not boot i.e I cannot access windows.
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Bosa, are these drives hot plug or non hot plug drives? and are they connected to an array controller or to the SCSI controller?
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Bosa Henry

Vijay, they are hot pluggable and it has a scsi controller.
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

So you are using SW raid. Did you ID the new drive? When the server posts do you see unique ID's for the 3 drives. Try setting the id of the new drive to be higher that the two existing drives.
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

....actually since these drives are hot plug drives. the slot position in the drive cage determines the scsi id of the drive
Bosa Henry

Vijay, I will try this and confirm tomorrow thanx.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Bosa,

It may be failing or hanging due to installing the new disk at a lower SCSI ID thn the other disks in the hot-plug bays.

The SCSI controller may see the new drive as the first hard disk when it scans the SCSI bus and try to boot from it. If you install it at a higher SCSI ID then the original disks will be seen first and things should be OK.

Please see the attached diagram which shows that the SCSI ID's on the hot-plug bays begin at 0 from the bottom - example is ML350G2 tower model.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Sorry,

Diagram attached now.

Brian