1753709 Members
4629 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Installation of windows 2000

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Installation of windows 2000

This may sound foolish but here goes.. I am trying to set up windows 2000 as a fresh installation IO have tried the smartstart with no luck ( it keeps losing config) so I have the following I have set up the array as 5 disck with 1 hot spare. if i go into bios it says it is there fine. When I boot using the windows 2000 disk it says it cannot find the mass storage device. When I try to specify additional device it says it doesnt have the drivers and asks for a floppy disk ( which i do not have nor can find on the compaq website) can anyone help ?
1 REPLY 1
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: Installation of windows 2000

First of all, there is no reason that the smart start should not work, you said it loses configuration but that could be a bad server profile diskette. You could try booting to the smart start cd and running system erase to wipe the server clean, and then booting with your smart start cd. Create a new profile disk using a new floppy and downloading from http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/7453.html to create the new floppy. Or if you wish to continue with a manual install of Windows 2000 server, you may need to specify the drivers depending on the smart array controller you are using. To do this, use a pc or server that is already running and put your smart start cd in the drive, as it autoruns, you will have a menu which gives you the choice to create support software. Select that option, then from the microsoft list, select COMPAQ SUPPORT PAQ FOR MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000 SUPPLEMENTAL DISKETTES. This will have you create one floppy which will hold the drivers needed for your smart array controller which you will need to specify during the Win2k setup.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!