New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installation on ML150 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zahiz
Occasional Advisor

Installation on ML150 G5

Hi Guys,
just having a very serious problem and unable to find any solution. hope will get the reply soon.
I have Proliant ML150 G5 server which is configured on Raid 1 but i want to add more hot plug drives and want to make Raid 5 on it. i have downloaded the smart stat 8.25 the latest one and tried but smart start did not support this server.so please tell me how i can make Raid on this server and how i can install because i am unable to find any proper documentation on this on this server page so please please help me out.
Server description are given below:
Product Name ProLiant ML150 G5
Processor Package 1 (Socket 1, Core = 4) Intel Xeon MP Processor @ 2.33 Ghz
Total memory - 4096 Mbytes
Board 0
DIMM A ( DDR2 ) 1024 Mbytes (667 MHz)
DIMM A ( DDR2 ) 1024 Mbytes (667 MHz)
DIMM B ( DDR2 ) 1024 Mbytes (667 MHz)
DIMM B ( DDR2 ) 1024 Mbytes (667 MHz)
DIMM C Not Installed
DIMM C Not Installed
ECC memory installed Yes
Hardware PAE enabled No
Dual Channel Memory Mode Enabled Yes
Communication
Serial Port 0 (Address 3F8h)
USB Device 1 USB 2.00 Controller EHCI-HCD
USB Device 2 USB 2.00 Controller EHCI-HCD
USB Device 3 USB 1.10 Controller UHCI
USB Device 4 USB 1.10 Controller UHCI
USB Device 5 USB 1.10 Controller UHCI
USB Device 6 ServerEngines SE USB Device
USB Device 7 USB 1.10 Controller UHCI
USB Device 8 USB 1.10 Controller UHCI
USB Device 9 USB 1.10 Controller UHCI
Network Controller 0, Slot 0 NC105i PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter
Storage
Optical Drive 1 HL-DT-S DVD-ROM
Physical Hard Drive 1, Controller Slot 5 250.1 Gbytes - ATA WDC WD2500YS-70S
Physical Hard Drive 2, Controller Slot 5 250.1 Gbytes - ATA WDC WD2500YS-70S
PCI Slots
SLOT1 Available
SLOT2 Available
SLOT3 Available
SLOT4 Available
SLOT5 In Use
SLOT6 Available

Regards!!!
12 REPLIES 12
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you can configure the RAID controller by pressing F8 at the right time during boot.

Unsure if you can change between the raid types on that controller though.

It is a little bit messy. Another way to do this would be to back everything up, delete arrays, create new array with RAID 5 and put data back on.
Zahiz
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Johan Guldmyr, i have tried F8 but it did not show any array although Raid 1 is configured on two hot plug drives and when I try to create it say "no drive dectect" Server has Smart array E200 controller. is their any utility that can configure from bootable cd or something? i have to make make a new Raid 5 for three 750GB hot plug drives and then i have to install server 2003 R2.
can you more help me now?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Ah, thought you didn't have a smart array controller.
Then please try to boot the CD on the smartstart CD. In there you have a nicer GUI for managing the RAID card.
Zahiz
Occasional Advisor

well that what i already told bro that smartstart cd is not supported for ML150 G5. I have tried smartstart 8.25 but it say that server did not supported
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Right, sorry about that.

Then apparently no, there is no other way besides the F8 during POST.
If your drives does not show up in there, then perhaps you have entered the configuration for the embedded raid controller and not the E200 controller.
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

> Physical Hard Drive 1, Controller Slot 5 250.1 Gbytes - ATA WDC WD2500YS-70S
> Physical Hard Drive 2, Controller Slot 5 250.1 Gbytes - ATA WDC WD2500YS-70S

Since the two disks show up to the OS, most likely they are connected to the embedded controller. If you bought the E200 you need to connect the disks to the E200 instead of the embedded controller. (I think the same internal cable is used for the embedded controller and the E200i).

Now for the E200, by default it has 64MB cache and can ONLY do raid0/1/1+0. You need to buy the "128MB cache with BBWC" option to be able to do RAID5 on the E200. Do you have the 128MB with BBWC?
Zahiz
Occasional Advisor

Thanks TTr for a long description. now i will upgrade my smart controller but after that how i will make Raid 5 because no any tool available and its not showing any array in POST option that mean you are right it is connected to embedded controller. but can you guide me after connecting with E200 128MB cache how i then i ll make Raid 5? Thanks for early help. I just feel little satisfaction. waiting for your reply
TTr
Honored Contributor

Take a look in thread for reference.
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1368801

It is very similar to what you want to do.

You use the ACU software (array configuration utility). It comes with the SA controllers or you can download it from HP.

But since you have two "simple" disks right now, you have to start from scratch. If you have data on the disks now, it will be lost when you combine the disks in a raid5 array. You have to save the data from the two disks and reload it later.
Zahiz
Occasional Advisor

Thanks TTr, now let me tell you full description of my server and requirment so i get the right advice from you.
I have now Smart Array E200 controller with E200 128 MB NiMH battery pack board and my E200 controller is shape is like this pic
http://fl2.shopmania.org/files/images/6699/hp-smart-array-e200-128-bbwc-c~6698619.jpg
now i want to remove my 2x250GB sata drives from server and want to install new 3x750GB Hot plug drives and 1x250GB hot plug drive.I have no data on server so have to start from scratch.
The information i check which are on already configured server with 2x250GB are
1-Slot 5 HP Smart Array E200 controller (128MB,v.1.80) 1 Logical drive
2- I do to HP Embedded Sata Raid controller #0,it show now array,when i pressed create array it say no drive detected and when i press "manage array" it say no array present.
3. when i go to "disk utilities" in array configuration utility it say no Sata drives present and say Only drives present at POST are displayed.
4- when i check logical drives by pressing F8 at start, it give two logical drives on Raid 0 and show their status ok.
5-on E200 controller,one place for cable named P1I is free

that was already configured server now what i want
1- i have to just take out this 2x250GB Sata drives and put 3x750GB and 1x250GB hot plug drives and make raid 5 on them
2-after making raid 5 i have to create 3 logical drives on them
3- then have to install window server 2003 R2
Hope you have understand now so please please help me out. I will be very grateful