108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installation on ML150 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
TTr
Honored Contributor

I can not tell you exactly what to do but I can give you some some general comments.

Take a look at these documents for the ML150G5. (look at service-maintenance guide).
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580609

> when i check logical drives by pressing F8 at start, it give two logical drives on Raid 0 and show their status ok

This means that the two disks are attached to the E200 and are created as 2 R0 LUNs.

> put 3x750GB and 1x250GB hot plug drives and make raid 5 on them

Do you have the hot plug cage or the non hot plug cage? You may need to convert the disk cage to hot plug. The hot-plug and non-hot-plug disks are different. (look at service-maintenance guide page 41)

You can not make raid5 on the 4 disks (3x750GB + 1x250GB). All disks must be identical. You can make a R5 on the 3x750GB disks.

You need to open the server and look which controller (embedded or E200) is connected to which disks.

You may be able to use the 2x250GB disks (with the embedded controller) and the 3 new 750GB disksk with the E200. You will need to use both disk cages and may have to buy another cable. See how the disks are wired in the service guide. The hot-plug disks are connected with one cable from the controller to the disk cage. The non hot-plug disks are connected daisy chained (controller to disk1, disk1 to disk2 etc.)

As I said you need to open the server and identify all the components and become familiar with what you have and decide what else you need to buy.
Zahiz
Occasional Advisor

Thanks bro. yeah i have hot plug drives and they are connected with E200 controller through cable like you said "The hot-plug disks are connected with one cable from the controller to the disk cage.". yeah i will make raid 5 for 3 hot plug drives and one 250gb will be used as backup. i will use the array configuration utility at POST and try to make Raid 5 at that. will try all thing tomorrow and will write to you all the things. but TTr you are great,thanks for excellent help. i ll write more tomorrow about the result.
Zahiz
Occasional Advisor

Hey bro I dont know but it was much simpler than i think i just plug three hot plug drives in server and when during POST,it give me option "press F7 to accept Raid 5 configuration" i just pressed and it just simply make it Raid 5 automatically.then i put OS CD and OS pick up the unallocated space and i just make logical drives and install OS. but what the last thing i want to know that can i make Raid 5 of 4x250GB drives? i know its possible but i wanna know that how much space i will get from it. will it be more than 500GB?
Thanks bro you help me alot. You are just Gre@t!!!