5311 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installation

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Installation

Hey,
I try to install SuSE Linux 7.x on an 4500R with 4 processors (Pentium 166). But Linux recognize only one Proc. I make some tests with system-configuation (OS: Linux or Unixware 7 ...) and Linux (Kernel 2.2.x or 2.4) but nothing help. The problem is not the SCSI chip (I put a second controller into) because Linux on 1 Proc. runs well.
The 4 processors are initialize at system-startup and they are running
under NT4 (I test NT).
My question is if the 4500R is Intel SMP (v1.4) compliant? Has anyone an idea?
Thanks in advance
Thomas Mueller
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Installation

no...it is not.
I have been hammering the Compaq folks to release the necessary technical data,
so I could write wrappers to allow the 4500(R) to at least "look"
like an SMP machine.
So far....no progress in getting the necessary info.

With 3 or 4 processors, these machines would be up-to-dae and relatively powerful, but, with one 133 Mhz cpu running...it's pretty wimpy!

jim
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi,
thanks for your letter. I forgot these box for Linux. For only 1 processor it's to big, to slow and make a big noise.
regards
Thomas
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

There is SMP compliance on the proliant 4500 according to the features. I quote "support for up to four processors in a symmetric multiprocessing environment" so make sure you APIC table is set to mapped, and that you have the smp kernel installed.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

What is the APIC table? As I know, APIC table is change if you change the OS type in SmartStart. Someone told me that Linux or Unixware 7 is right OS type. One year ago I try some different configuration with SmartStart 4.90 (as I remember) with Suse Linux 7.0, 7.1 and SMP kernel 2.2 2.4, but nothings help. On the Proliant 5000 (4p) it works well.
With 1 processor it works, but then its better to use desktop PC.

tm
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

To change the apic settings, you can boot from the system configuration floppies and go in system configuration, then configure hardware. Youll then be able to edit the settings and in the advanced section, yuo can change the apic settings.