1753502 Members
4884 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing 2nd CPU with Smartstart 5.3

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Installing 2nd CPU with Smartstart 5.3

How can i install a 2nd CPU in a DL380G2 with operating system NT 4.0 (service pack 4).The system configuration utility show me that it can see both processors but the NT not.I have setup server with Smartstart 5.3.Thank you...
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Get the Windows NT Resouce Kit utilty called UNIT to Multi. You have to swap out the NT Kernel to support SMP.

HAVE A BACKUP READY AND BE CAREFULL!!!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You should only use the COMPAQ HAL and make certain and use the HAL Recovery Option also .. ( In case one CPU dies ) The COMPAQ HAL should be installed using the COMPAQ NTSSD now possibly the NTCSP located on the Smart Start CD .. under CPQSUPSW\NTSSD or NTCSP First Install using Express mode.. reboot then run the NTSSD again and highlight the HAL and upgrade this will use the COMPAQ HAL and Not the WINDOWS HAL and will prevent BSOD. Also remember to install the HAL Recovery option.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

(Let's make it official...)

How to update the NT HAL on Smartstart 5.x ?
Last Updated: 2002-02-20 Solution-id: 215.0.57104056.3359987
Objective:
How to update the NT HAL on Smartstart 5.x ?
Environment:
MS Windows NT 4.0 server
Multiprocessor HAL upgrade
NTSSD
HAL recovery option
CSP
Compaq Support Paq
Solution:
A separate utility for this has been developed which is on the Compaq website : " Compaq Hardware Abstraction Layer Utility for Windows NT 4.0"

Note: It will not be on any future Smart Start CD's and is available as sp 17888.exe.
Cause:
The HAL upgrade/downgrade functionality was part of the NTSSD which no longer is in use as of Smartstart 5.0