Re: Installing 2nd CPU

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carl Behrent
Occasional Contributor

Installing 2nd CPU

HP ProLiant DL360 G3
Windows 2003 (No SP installed)

Currently has 1 x 2.8GHz CPU and we are wanting to install a 2nd CPU.

Is there a proper procedure for doing this or just shut the server down, install CPU then power back on?

I have been looking for documentation for this but havent found anything suitable yet.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Mario_66
Valued Contributor

Patrick Matthews_2
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Once the processor is installed, yo will have to go into Windows Device Manager and under the "Computer" section you will have to instruct it to scan for new hardware changes. This will change the driver to a Multiprocessor PC and will require a reboot
Of course I don't lokk busy, I did it right the first time
Samnang
Advisor

make sure that the ROM version is the latest version to make your exiting processor support with the new stepping of new processor.
go to this

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/romtabl.html
e4services
Honored Contributor

No 'firmware' upgrade is necessary to add another CPU. I do not know WHERE that comment comes from. It's THE SAME CPU.

Anyway the simple answer is what you suspected, shut the server down, install CPU then power back on. And as the other comment said, windows will have to be updated to add the multiCPU kernal to use them both
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

Actually, a firmware upgrade is a good precaution. Upgraded processors are not always the same; newer stepping levels may be introduced over time.

It is true that the CPU and cache levels would remain the same.