ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752790 Members
6249 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Installing CentOS 6.3 to DL360e can't load driver for smart array controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Installing CentOS 6.3 to DL360e can't load driver for smart array controller

I'm trying to install CentOS 6.3 to a DL360e G8.  I've downloaded the hpvsa driver (hpvsa-1.2.4-4.rhel6u3.x86_64.dd.gz) and burned that to a cd.  During the install when trying to load the driver, it said this was not the correct driver for this operating system.  I know its not RHEL but CentOS, but surely the driver can't be that finicky?  Is there a different driver for CentOS?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Installing CentOS 6.3 to DL360e can't load driver for smart array controller

Well, apparently the driver is that specific.  I just found this HP document.  It explains that they don't provide a driver for CentOS.  This really bites.  :(

viniciof
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hello BradV,

Even if it's not supported by HP, I'm pretty sure will work and can be installed.  Follow the details in this HP Documetn to do it using the RHEL driver:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/mostViewedDisplay/?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_efb5c0793523e51970c8fa22b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03582943-1%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.tpst=efb5c0793523e51970c8fa22b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=4248009&ac.admitted=13...

I had problems using USB and DVD to load the driver, the best way to do it was with iLO.

I've extracted the driver hpvsa-1.2.4-4.rhel6u3.x86_64.dd.gz  using winrar (free version) then renamed from .dd to .img

After that loaded the OS, pressed ESC to be able to load the driver, and using iLO  with the  Integrated Remote Console mounted a Image File (Removable media) and selected the driver I just renamed to .img

It loaded corerctly but did not showed a confirmation, just asked me if I want to load more drivers, I said NO.

Continued with the installation and I saw the HP Logical Drive available to install OS.

Rgds,

rgds,
vf

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS Star! .....
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I just verified on a system with a B120i. hpvsa-1.2.44-4.rhel6u3.x86_64.dd loads fine with Centos 6.3. Are you sure your using 6.3 and not a different release version?

All I did was gunzip the image and copied it to a USB stick.  On the kernel boot line, I added "blacklist=ahci dd" The blacklist option isn't required for a B320i controller, just he B120i

During boot, the installer asked if I hada a driver disk, then pointed to the usb device and loaded the driver

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
EagleRed
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I 've the same problem with B320i controller. 

Any hint to solve the problem?

Thanks for your support.

Best Regards,

EagleRed 

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I am using CentOS 6.3.  USB sticks are strickly forbidden.  I could lose my job for bringing one of those in.  So, I used a cd.  I go through the whole driver load, but it keeps saying this driver isn't for this OS.  I need to call the HP support line and see if they have any further information.

:(

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

gunzip the file on your client system and use iLO virtual Media to mount the driver image. If you don't have the advanced pack license for iLO, you can get a 30 day trail license so you can use the virtual media features while installing the OS

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

OK, finally got this resolved.  HP said that it is because the kernel on the installation dvds used during the installation has drivers for usb but not reading the cd (or something like that).  So, it can't mount the cdrom.  That is why they say to use a thumb drive.  That is why the virtual cd through ilo should work because it is also a usb device.

We were able to get CentOS 6 installed using the RHEL 6 drivers for the B320i.  Thanks to all for your suggestions!  :)

DPTSky
Occasional Visitor

Just a FYI, this is how i did my install of CentOS 6.x on my HP DL360e G8.

On boot (USB,CD, Virtual Media) menu, i hit [tab] and added the following lines:

vnc dd=http://<ip>/driver/hpvsa.dd ip=10.x.x.x gateway=10.x.x.x netmask=255.255.255.0 dns=10.x.x.x 

With that, i was able to get the driver downloaded from a web server, install via VNC (i find the ilo4 can be a bit laggy at times) and had success installing on several servers.

This required only having a single web server running for both ISO and driver.