5063 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing HP ML350 G4P server Memory

Nick Bowers
Advisor

Installing HP ML350 G4P server Memory

Hi,
I have a ML350 G4P rack server and i purchased 4 x 512mb sticks of RAM. I cant find any documentation on how to install this memory. Does anyone know where i can find it?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
KMullins
Frequent Advisor
Nick Bowers
Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for that, Do the memory modules need to be installed in groups (Pairs)? also i have 5 sticks of Hynix 1Rx8 PC2-3200R-333-12 and one stick of Samsung 1Rx8 PC2-3200R-333-10-A1 are they compatible together?
Thanks
Nick Bowers
KMullins
Frequent Advisor

The memory modules always need to be installed in pairs, apart bank nr1 you can have a single 1Gb module in it and the server will boot.

But after that if your upgrading the memory it needs to be in pairs otherwise you will get a post error invalid memory configuration detected.

Due to the memory interleaving which is enabled by default after the first pair of dimms is installed :)

As for the compatibility did you buy these dimms from Hp?
If yes on the boxes there should be a option number ends with -B21
You can check that against
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12199_div/12199_div.HTML#Memory
( Also a nice overview how to set the memory up in pairs )

If they are both valied option numbers they should work together.

Nick Bowers
Advisor

Hi,
well according to that i cant have 3gb of ram. 2 or 4, is there a way to have 3gb? and i got the ram of ebay, they said the ram will work in the server but im not sure about the compatability with the other sticks.
Cheers
Attila Szab├│
Frequent Advisor

Hi Nick,

I think, maybe you have 1GB RAM in the base configuration, and you bought additional 2GB for that. The standard memory config is:
- 1├Г 512MB for non-array controller models
- 2├Г 512MB for array controller models (Smart Array 641)

Your server has 6 memory slots, which means, 3 memory banks (pairs).

You can add the additional 2GB RAM without any problem, then you will have 3GB.

The problem can be the type of your ram. Do you find any part number on it, which looks like: 345112-051 (HP part number), or any HP stick?
If the memories are HP branded, they doesnt need to be from the same manufacturer in the same bank (as it was a must at old configs), just they need to have the same assembly part number.

If its a common memory, it depends on you to use that or not, but if there will be any problem (look-ups, etc), and the HP technical guy will find a non-compatible memory in the server, you cannot be sure, that they will repair it under warranty or not.

At a server, I think its mandatory to use original HP, or compatible (like Kingston) memory.

I hope it helps... (and tell the part number)
Attila
Nick Bowers
Advisor

Hi,
It came with 512mb of ram, I brought 4 x 512mb sticks that were out of the same server, they have the same part number as the original. Then i have one stick of Samsung 1Rx8 PC2-3200R-333-10-A1 HP Part Number: 345112-051, so all up i should have 3gb. So all i need to know is will they all work together? it will fill all 6 slots, if they will work together does the Samsung ram need to be in a certail slot as it is different to the others (As in brand)?
Thanks in advance
Nick
Attila Szab├│
Frequent Advisor

Nick,

Then its easy, since the 345112-051 is the assembly number of 512MB RAM for ML350 G4p and ML370 G4. The spare part number for that is: 359241-001 (you will find this in documentations).
I prefer to take the samsung RAM near the first module (into second slot), and put the 4 same module into the next 2 bank. When you first time start the server, leave the sidepanel open, to see, if any of error LEDs goes red (orange). If the assembly number is correct, it doesnt matter, who made the module. It looks like the samsung RAM has faster timing then the hynix, so its better to be the slower timing RAM in the fist slot, and that will slow down the second one to its speed (and its need to works fine).

If the memory modules are HP branded and they are for that server (as at you), the only problem can be the memory timing (not happen so often). In this situation, you need to switch the modules with each other (but you have no chance to kill the motherboard - not with the module itself, you can do it with your static field :).

Attila
Nick Bowers
Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for all your help it is much appreciated!