ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752288 Members
3919 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing New HDD of 72 Gb ultra scsi 10k in raid of 32GB

Installing New HDD of 72 Gb ultra scsi 10k in raid of 32GB

Hi I have bought an ultra320 scsi from 72Gb. I wanted to know if I can install it on an it raid 5 where I have 3 hdd from 32 Gbs ultra scsi... When it installs the new HD of 72 Gb to increase the space it doesn't work ... bicouse?????
6 REPLIES 6
John Drew
Advisor

adding the 72gb drive to a raid5 array created with 32gb drives will give you an additional 32gb partition in Windows (it won't recognize drive sizes greater than the other drives).

The array itself will expand to add the drive, but if you want to have a larger logical drive you need to use something like the old Partition Magic or Symantec's Volume Manager.

do you say that I have to install the program of the symantec to start the partition???
And then I will see a new disk???

can I install it The hd of 72 gbs and then with the program simply to manage the partition to end the job????

And so simple???? sure ^?? ''?
John Drew
Advisor

If you added the drive to the existing array with the array configuration utility, there will be about 32gb of unpartitioned space available.

It might take a little while to expand the array depending on your controller settings.

once the array is expanded, if you run disk manager (assuming you're running 2000/2003 server) you can create another partition with that space, which will give you another drive.

if you want your existing drive to include the extra space, install Symantec Volume Manager on the server, and you can expand the existing drive to include that space.

it doesn't take very long to expand the volume.

Excuse me but I have installed the HD in the special slot. it is turned on then for about 2 minutes him and out.
After being him out I have look to management HDD and me I didn't see any drivers new....

P.S. My job is System Managment.....
However I have not installed thise never a HDD from 72Gb in a mirror from 32 GBs because I am insecure of the operation
David Graham_8
Advisor

If you have used the HP Array Configuration to set up the original array then my steps will work.

You do understand that you will only get to use 36Gb of the new disk not the entire 72Gb

Steps

Full Backup

Put the new HDD in the Server

Open HP ACU

Add the Disk to the Array (Array A)

I think you extend the logical drive

This will then put the array in a "Rebuilding" mode.

Close the ACU

Leave the server for a 5-6 hours

Go into the disk management in windows (right click on my computer, manage, disk management)

Check if the extra space is there.

If it is, go to the cmd prompt and type diskpart (this might be a resource kit util)

Then select the drive

Select the partition

Select the volume

then use extend.

Do not use the symantec crap.....

It does sound like you should contact your local HP rep and get some help as I think you might not have the experience to make this work.

I hope it all goes well.