1753917 Members
7801 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing PSP / Lose NIC connectivity

Eric Williams_4
Advisor

Installing PSP / Lose NIC connectivity

During installation or upgrading of a PSP, when it installs all of the drivers and gets to the NIC drivers, is there a temp lose of connectivity? I am working in a datacenter and need to know if this would cause a brief outage.
12 REPLIES 12
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

If the OS is Windows 2000 or 2003, then YES the network connection will be temporarily interrupted.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Jonas Back_2
Super Advisor

I guess it's becasue it updates the NIC driver? Maybe you could skip upgrading that or are there something else installed that might interrupt network connectivity?
Daniel Hidalgo
Occasional Advisor

Dear All,

I have used the psp and in some cases the nic is disable, and you have to reconfigure de nic, in other cases the nic is temporarily interrupted. Why is this?
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Eric, Yes you will lose connectivity temporarily if upgrading to PSP 7.3. This happens during the driver upgrade, but is usually very brief (1-5 pings is what we have seen here).

Daniel, when we were upgrading to either PSP7.1 or 7.2 we did encounter several issues with NIC configurations. In some cases we had to completely dissolve the team and start over from scratch. This seems to have been resolved with 7.3 though.
Daniel Hidalgo
Occasional Advisor

Michelle,

I did it with psp 7.3 =(
Michael Tabler

The loss of NIC connectivity is causing problems with our PSP 7.3 installation on remote servers (no IT staff at the location). We have been able to use the ILO console to perform the PSP install, but the interface is very slow and difficult at times.
Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to remotely deploy the PSP to geographilcally isolated locations? (Other than the ILO or physically going to the location?)

Thanks.
Steven Baillie
Trusted Contributor

I installed PSP 7.30 and on about 5 out of 60 server I had to reconfigure the network card.

Make sure that your ILO's are up to firmware 1.82 and then you can use the High Performance Mouse on the ILO which will make it easier to use the ILO to sort out any problems.

steven
Jonas Back_2
Super Advisor

Have you tried 7.40? We upgraded about 60 servers last week from the very old 6.40 and all of them went just fine and converted the NIC teaming. Mostly Win 2003 but also some 2000.
Victor_138
Regular Advisor

I installed PSP 7.40 for Windows on a recently built server and lost my nic team.

Had to download the updated drivers of the nics, dissolve the team and re-team them again.

Now works fine.