cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing RH 8.0 on Proliant 3000

Shane Brennan
Occasional Visitor

Installing RH 8.0 on Proliant 3000

I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 dual P3 550 mhz with 1gb ram, 7x9.1 gb hotswap disks, SmartArray 2SL, etc and I'll be trying to update to RedHat 8.0. I'm not sure how well the Compaq software plays with GRUB, and I'm not even sure if RH8 supports Lilo anymore, so if anyone has any hints or comments, I'd love to hear them. I'll post my successes/failures here as well as what Paqs seem to help, etc.
Turing Machine that ran out of tape
3 REPLIES
Dean A. Jones III
Occasional Visitor

Re: Installing RH 8.0 on Proliant 3000

I have tried unsuccessfully on two seperate PL3000's. Everything appears to go well during the whole installation phase, but when the system starts to boot to the Linux operating system, I get an error that one of the CPU's has failed to initialize. Then further into the boot the system hangs, but continues too access the drives. On the first server, I attempted to boot the system two different times and it hung at two different places in the process. I only tried to boot the second server the one time, got the failed CPU message and the boot process hang and then decided to do a little more investigating. When this system hung, it was at the same place that the other server stopped during the second boot attempt. On the second server, I let the system sit in the hung state for about an hour with the drives still spinning away, nut finally shut it down. I will be continuing my search for answers and will post them here.
Dean A. Jones III
Occasional Visitor

Well, I've pretty much given up on RH 8.0. I haven't been able to locate much information (almost zip.zilch)regarding the problems I was seeing. So, for grins, I tried RH 7.3. It installed perfectly and is running just fine. No hits, no errors! The display settings for x is a little crazy though. So I just use the terminal or access it from another box with VNC. Go figure.
Dean A. Jones III
Occasional Visitor

Well, I've pretty much given up on RH 8.0. I haven't been able to locate much information (almost zip.zilch)regarding the problems I was seeing. So, for grins, I tried RH 7.3. It installed perfectly and is running just fine. No hits, no errors! The display settings for x is a little crazy though. So I just use the terminal or access it from another box with VNC. Go figure. I was able to verify that 8 does indeed still support Lilo though.