ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748159 Members
3934 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Red Hat Linux 8.0 on Proliant 2500

Arfa Hassan

Installing Red Hat Linux 8.0 on Proliant 2500

I have Proliant 2500 with 256 Mb RAMM with 36Gb Hdd. i am trying to install Red Hat Linux on Proliant 2500, but during installation message apearing "" Not Enough Memory to Install Red Hat Linux 8.0
Arfa Hassan
3 REPLIES 3

Hello,

I also want to install Redhat Linux 8.0 on a Proliant Server 2500. But I also got the same message. I tried another version of RedHat but then I also got the errormessage. When I install Microsoft Windows 2000 I don??t got any errormessage.

Do you still got the problem or have you already resolved it. If you have the solution I would like to know it also.

Thanks,

Walter van der Heijden
The Netherlands
Walter
Erwin_9

Hi Arfa,

I have a ProLiant 2500 with 128MB RAM and 3x 4.3GB HDD.
Trying to install RH 8.0 gives me exactly the same problem!
I've resolved in the meantime this error message by using the following command: "linux mem=128m".
But this gives me the following error: "Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 09:02". This problem can be solved by making a driverdisk and use at the boot prompt the command: "linux expert". The system will then ask for a driverdisk, will load 2 drivers (incl. the sym53c8xx SCSI driver) and Anaconda will start. But then I'm stuck with the following message: "install exited abnormally -- received signal 15". That's all I achieved until now!

I hope my info is helpfull to you and I'm curious how you proceed!

P.S.: I've tried to install an older version of Suse Linux (v6.0) on the 2500 and this gave no problems at all!!!

Greetings,
Erwin

Hi,

I don??t know if you??ve already solved the problem. But i have the solution of the problem.
If you will install linux (96MB memory) you must do it with the following command:
linux mem=exactmap mem=640K@0 mem=95M@1M

If you want more details about this solution you can take a look at the following site:
www.geocities.com/rlcomp_1999/memory.html

I hope this will help you to install Linux on the Compaq Proliant 2500.

Greetings,

Walter
The Netherlands
Walter