1752782 Members
6122 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing RedHat 7.x

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Installing RedHat 7.x

Hi. I should install RedHat Linux in to the ProLiant 800. Which of those versions is the best one; RedHat 6.2 or 7.2? How does that disk array work with Linux?

The main reason why we are installing Linux, is that we are going to have Squid proxy in that machine. Now we have Microsoft's proxy, but it is not working. So we are going to start using Squid instead of MS Proxy.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Squid is far better than the M$ Proxy, this is a fact.

If you want to maintain the 'industry standard' then install RH 6.2. But for security reasons I think you may want to install the 7.2. Do not use any x.1 versions from RH, this is a big nono. I call these releases 'beta' releases, but this is my personal view, RH calls them stable releases.

HTH

Greets

Cagliostro
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Is there something special that I should know before installing RedHat7.2 to Compaq ProLiant 800?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I use my 800 as WS, for that reason I added a Matrox Graphics Card. But with RH 6.2 / 7.2 this computer works fine. Maybe there can be a memory prob if theres much RAM installed (had this on an 2500).

I had no further problems.

Cheers

Cagliostro
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I'm using 7.1 on this server and it works perfect. Amazangly perfect since I'm running squid for over 50 users, sendmail, DNS and sockd.