Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing SSD in HPE ML310e Gen8 v2 Server

HPESys
Occasional Advisor

Installing SSD in HPE ML310e Gen8 v2 Server

Hi,

I have 3 HPE ML310e Gen8 v2 Servers which use WD 3.5" HDDs at the moment. I use these servers as ESXi hosts and due to this reason the performance of the HDDs is not good.

I am planning to purchase 6 Crucial MX300 SSDs to run in a RAID1 array on these servers, which would mean 2 SSDs per server. However as the server accepts 3.5" form factor HDDs, I am planning to buy a HP Part 654540-001, which is a 2.5" SSD to 3.5" SATA Adapter to install the SSDs in to the servers.

Do you guys think these will work? That seems to be a genuine HP adapter, so I think they should work without any problems? The adapter seems to have been even made by Foxconn. And the reason I am planning to use Crucial MX300 SSDs is because they have some built in power protection and are not very expensive.

6 REPLIES
elsevero
Occasional Visitor

Re: Installing SSD in HPE ML310e Gen8 v2 Server

@HPESys do you have any updates on this? Trying to achieve the same think like you.

P.S: - Also posted a question on serverfault

HPESys
Occasional Advisor

I have ordered the adapters for the SSDs and once I receive them, will test and go ahead with the SSDs. I don't think that there will be any issues in going ahead with this.

elsevero
Occasional Visitor

@HPESys: Ok , but can you tell me what:

1. What SSD adapters (a link or model) you've ordered.

2. What SSD model & brand have you ordered, planning to use?

(you can see in the attached screen-shot, the VM stored on the SSD was turned off for a while and for some reason now its unavailable). For the SSD I have only one drive: Solid State Drive (SSD) Samsung 850 PRO Basic, 2.5", 256GB, SATA III (testing purposes).

Looking forward, thanks for replying.

Regards! :)

HPESys
Occasional Advisor

I have ordered the HP 654540-001 adapter to use for installing SSDs and I am planning to use Crucial MX300 525GB SSD. Which adapter are you using to install the SSD?

That seems to be a strange issue that your VM is unavailable after keeping it off for a while. Are you able to browse to datastore and see the VM files on the SSD?

It seems like a data corruption issue to me. I am not sure but I guess I read somewhere that Samsung 850 Pro SSDs are not a good choice for use in the servers especially when used in a RAID setup.

elsevero
Occasional Visitor

@HPESys:

Thanks for the fast reply!

Which adapter are you using to install the SSD?

> I've just added the SSD via SATA, conected on the board then on the Raid controller I've created a Raid 0.

That seems to be a strange issue that your VM is unavailable after keeping it off for a while. Are you able to browse to datastore and see the VM files on the SSD?

> Yeah, I was not so sure... only used for testing purposes. I'm able to browse the Datastore anyway any see the files, no important that was stored on Samsung 850 Pro SSDs .

Are you sure that Crucial MX300 525GB SSD would work with any issues, have you tried one yet or you fond somewhere on the documentation / specs that this model is compatibile ?

Looking forward, Thanks again!

HPESys
Occasional Advisor

In the offical HPE documentation, you would not find any recommendation for non-hpe branded products. So even the Crucial SSDs are not recommended anywhere. However, I don't think there should be any problems with it because it is just a standard SATA SSD connected to a standard SATA port.

I haven't tested them yet.