1752773 Members
5033 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing W2K3 on ML150 G3

Leino Laks

Installing W2K3 on ML150 G3

Hello,
new ML150 G3, trying to install w2k3 standard sold with server.
Windows install cannot find any disk.
I see disk in RAID conf utility. So I think the disk still works.
I tried to add 3rd party driver from "support and doc" cd, but w2k3 installer only accepts drivers from drive A and I don't have any here right now. Don'thave floppies too, so this is not a good solution.

Does anybody know any other way to give these RAID drivers to win-installer? Or is there any other solution to install windows on it?
10 REPLIES 10
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The official answer from HP is that you need to purchase the optional USB floppy drive. USB Floppy Drive, External DC361B

If you search these forums, there are other ways you can try:
- Use nlite to create a Windows CD with the drivers integrated.
- Use a non-HP floppy drive and modify INF file on diskette so it supports that drive
- Install withoud RAID and then enable the RAID telling it not to initialize RAID.
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Please find attached the document to use nLite software to install windows 2003 without using floppy drive

Also ML150 G3 comes with

HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller or
HP 8 Internal Port SAS Host Bus Adapter with RAID

However on some models it can be LSI SAS controller as well.

So kindly check which controller is installed in your server, so that i can send the correct driver link for storage controller
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Dear Leino,

Vcespon is right, you can refer to the solution provided at following links:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1087922

For good instructions on NLite, u can also refer to: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1146292&admit=109447626+1198758922387+28353475

Hope this information would be helpful
TarunJain

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

Leino Laks

Thanks, I will try on saturday.
Leino Laks

Hello again,
still in s..., I have HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller, based on server start information, took drivers from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1163831&prodNameId=3279687&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-9553913a25fe499aa09e22cfe2,
made a custom installer cd with nlite, still it doesn't find disk.

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

check this
this is a procedure that a person in the forum after some days trying and trying finished the installation and published the steps here

he first used nlite after Windows Unattended CD Creator, my recommendation. put your BIOS in the default options and follow this guide

Step 1:
Restart your Proliant Server.
Step 2:
Press (F10) to enter the Proliant BIOS. Wait until you see "PheonixBIOS Setup Utility" located at the top of your screen.
Step 3:
Navigate to "Advance" using the arrow keys on your keyboard. Then navigate to "Advanced Chipset Control", Navigate down to "Serial ATA:" press "Enter" & select "Enable". Navigate down to "SATA Controller Mode Option:" and press "Enter" & switch from "Compatible" to "Enhanced". Navigate down to "SATA RAID Enable:" and press "Enter" and switch to "Enabled"
NOTE: The process tree should now look like this:
Main:
-> Advanced:
-> Advanced Chipset Control
-> Serial ATA:
-> SATA Controller Mode Option:
-> SATA RAID Enable:
Step 4:
Navigate to "Boot" and using the "-" & "+" buttons on your keyboard adjust all options to look like the following:
Boot:
-> CD-ROM Drive
-> +Hard Drive
-> Removable Devices
-> Embedded NIC1
-> Embedded NIC2
Press (F10) to Save & Exit, A Setup Confirmation will appear asking you:
"Save configuration changes and exit now?"
[Yes] [No] -> Select Yes and press "Enter"
Let the server reboot and when you see the option to press (F8) to enter Raid Configuration press (F8) and move to step 5.
Step 5:
You should now see "HP Embedded SATA Setup" on the top of your screen.
Navigate to "Array Configuration Utility" and press "Enter", you should now see "Main Menu" with options underneath. I will now demonstrate how to configure your hard drives to a Raid-1 configuration.
Navigate to "Configure Drives", press "Insert" on your keyboard after selecting the hard drives you wish to have in the Raid array. For example:
00 WDC WD740ADFD-00NLR4 69.2GB (Insert)
01 WDC WD740ADFD-00NLR4 69.2GB (Insert)
You will now see that the selected drives have been moved to the right hand side of your screen which reads "Selected Drives"
Commit yourself to your selection by pressing "Enter" and move to the next section.
You will now be back at the "Main Menu" screen. If not press "Esc" which will bring you the Main Menu screen.
Navigate to "Create Array" Select "Raid 1: Mirror" and press "Enter" then select "Quick Init" and press "Enter" Label your raid anything you want and press "Enter" select "Exit" or "create" and then if your not back on the "Main Menu" screen press "Esc" to get back to this section.
Navigate to "Manage Arrays" and select the array you want in the "List of Arrays" Don't press "Enter" this will just show you a summary of your configuration. Instead do the following:
- Press (Ctrl + W) "Enable Write Cache" (Option)
- Press (Ctrl + B) "Mark Bootable Array" (Mandatory)
You will then see that your array is bootable indicated by "*" next to your array.
Press "Esc" to get to the "Main Menu" and press "Esc" to get to the "Options" and press "Esc" to get to the "Exit Screen" select Yes and press "Enter"
At this point, insert your disk with your custom Un-Attended OS on it by made by "Windows Unattended CD Creator" or ├в nlite├в and wait until you see the usual "Press a key to enter Windows Setup" press a key when you see this and continue with a standard windows install, if you selected the option of an "Unattended setup" using "Windows Unattended CD Creator" or ├в nlite├в then you will not have to insert any information. Windows will do this for you.
When Windows has finished the installation you will then switch your boot priority from CD -> HDD to anything you want, the option used mainly would be "HDD - CD - Removable" etc. See Step 5 for further details.
Let windows boot up into the login screen, Login, Install any other drivers you have E.G Lan drivers and Chipset.

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi
using either "Windows Unattended CD Creator" or ├в nlite├в you have to preload the driver for RAID Controller

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3186395&prodNameId=3279681&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-e8be8b8ea03540ee9efb75ce46

regards
Leino Laks

OK, I will check BIOS once more.
These drivers of Smart Array I put also on disk, but for that HP Embedded controller were different drivers, put those too.

Can it be a problem that I have only one disk? I did not plan to make any mirror there.
Maybe I should disable this SATA RAID at all.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

mmm OK, with one HDD create a RAID 0 then and add the SATA Driver to nlite or the other one because you told us you have the SATA card right?

smart array is another type of controller cards

regards