cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Win XP on Proliant ML-350 with Smart Array 4200

doc_3
Occasional Visitor

Installing Win XP on Proliant ML-350 with Smart Array 4200

Please help if you can. I have been doing a lot of reading and tring everything I have found on these forums but I cannot solve the problem. I am trying to help a friend load Win XP Pro on 2 older ML-350's. He just replaced the servers with the latest 2.4ghz ML 350's and now wants to use these 2 older PIII's as SPECIAL workstations. The problem is he wants to take advantage of the Smart Array 4200 raid controllers for data security purposes, and this is our problem. When we try and load XP it will not see the scsi's no matter what driver we try and load with the F6 option. We have tried NT, 2000 drivers etc.. but nothing seems to work. I have done countless searches to try and find drivers for XP but have not had any success.

One solution I thought I came upon was to bypass the 4200 and go straight into the scsi controller. XP then loads fine. It then recognizes the 4200 and asks for drivers. I then found a driver on the Compaq resource disk a cpqarry.sys version 5.4 etc.. and it loaded fine!! So thinking I found the right driver I then set up the raid again to raid 1 wiped the disks extracted the cpq (including the oem file, txt and all appropriate files, it is extracted correctly to auto run) ver 5.4 to a floppy and chose F6. It sees the driver 5.4 and gives me 2 choices and even if I load both choice or one at a time, again no go, same issue, it will not see the drives. My friend and I are at a lose. We have read that others have used XP with the Smart Array 4200. Is it possible? Where are we going wrong, please pro's I need help on this one.
1 REPLY
doc_3
Occasional Visitor

Re: Installing Win XP on Proliant ML-350 with Smart Array 4200

Does anyone have a clue? Please Pro's out there lend a helping hand to a person in need.:>))