1752565 Members
5641 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Windows 2003 on ML110 G4 with Raid1

Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

Is there not an option in there to turn on Legacy USB as well?

I've seen this issue before where you had to make sure to turn off 2.0, but leave usb enabled in legacy mode.

Also...this isn't really an HP specific issue, it really comes down to lack of usb device support in 2003 server setup for the drivers for "many" usb floppy drives.

If you have to, you might end up having to get an HP USB Certified drive found here:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/usb-support.html
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

Oh, is there also an option in there that will let you change "USB Mass Storage Device" from "Auto" to "Floppy"?
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

I also found mention that if you're using a USB 1.1 floppy drive, it won't work with this USB 2.0 controller, you may need to make sure your USB Floppy drive is 2.0 compatible
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

JimFromSSCorp
Occasional Advisor

Ryan, You have outdone yourself and I much appreciate all your efforts. I have been working on this for some time and was ready to put my steel-toed work boots on. That last link you posted I believe was exactly what I was looking for; However, I believe I found another workaround at the topic posted: Subject: Install win 2003 server without a Floppy ML110 G4, with Kudos going to Steven Clementi for showing us http://www.nliteos.com . I integrated the driver right into the windows installation CD and the OS is being installed at present! Thanks again Ryan for all your help. I will be sure and send some points your way! Jim B.
Jeremy Witt

I have a slightly different issue under the same topic. My USB drive works fine, but this is at least the 4th ML110 G4 that has suffered this issue.

On the first stage of the GUI installation (Setup will complete in approx. 39 min), I am asked to confirm the use of the Adaptec SATA HostRAID at "34 min". I click Yes. The installation continues.

A second dialog box comes up asking for confirmation of the Adaptec Processor Device (Pseudo). However, about 10 seconds prior, the mouse cursor disappears and the keyboard dies, leaving me no method to confirm and continue. I have used every combination of PS/2 and USB input devices, including multiples of each.

What I am left with is powering off the server and restarting to the "39 min" phase and repeating until it FINALLY lets me click the second confirmation. Typically it takes 5-10 restarts to get beyond this point.

Very frustrating and time consuming.

Any thoughts on this?

TIA,
JDW
Johan Alberts_1
Occasional Advisor

I have the exact same problem with installing Server 2003 on my ML110 G4.

I have it as a testserver and do new installs almost every week. Most of the times it hangs when installing this Pseudo driver. After three to five retries it finally works.

Any solution to this behavior?

/Johan
Jeremy Witt

I did manage to get past it on this one, as soon as I disconnected the internal DAT72 USB Tape Drive. Not sure if that was it, or just coincidental.

JDW
Johan Alberts_1
Occasional Advisor

My server is completely stock except from that i have 1GB of memory and a second 160GB hard drive and using mirroring.

A couple if weeks ago i upgraded all firmwares but ther is no change in the behavior.

I have done some search both using G**gle and HP forums with no luck.

/Johan

/Johan
Cateyed

Thank goodness someone else found this problem as well! I was worried I had hardware failure!!

I've been attempting to get Windows SBS 2003 installed for the last 4 hours to no avail.

I'm also using the embedded SATA RAID controller with RAID 1. Stock standard server. Straight out of the box.

I've managed to find the driver (no thanks to the incorrect website included with my documentation) and I'm now on about my 6th restart with this Adaptec Processor Device (Pseudo) freeze up. No mouse, no keyboard. I'm hoping that reboot, reboot, reboot etc fixes this, like some of my predecessors indicate.

Like the others, I too have tried USB and PS2 keyboards and mice. I've upgraded the BIOS, tried an older raid driver.

The only thing that seems to have improved is the first Windows Logo verification actually has a device name now. It used to be blank, now it is "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID".

I've also tried to say NO to the Windows Logo verification, to see if that skipped installing the RAID driver... But it still hangs up... :-(

I'm now at a loss. I was hoping to get this all done tonight, but I guess that's not going to happen (but maybe this next reboot...)

Any news from HP on this??

Max