1751879 Members
5111 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Windows 2003 on ML110 G4 with Raid1

JimFromSSCorp
Occasional Advisor

I feel your pain. It took me a week and 4 or 5 total reinstalls be4 I got it. If you read my post above, you'll find that the only way I was able to install without issues was to go to http://www.nliteos.com and get the download. Then run the program which copied my Disk1 and prompted me for additional drivers. I added the RAID driver to the disk and zoom-zoom. Clean install.
Cateyed

Thanks for the reply. I've just tried my nLite, integrating that driver, but it failed with an error. I'll try again.

A note though. I called HP today. They tell me that the problem is caused by the USB floppy drive. It HAS to be an HP branded one. They recommend the ProLiant one.

I've been using my IBM one. I've never had problems with it before...

Anyway, I've ordered one. Was only $A60 so not expensive.
JimFromSSCorp
Occasional Advisor

Hmmm... Proprietary USB..?? Who knew? I thought the old Compaq days were behind us. I tried to get help from HP back when I had all my install woes and gave up on them. Their tech support is horrible in my book; you'd think with so many people having issues with this machine, that they'd have come up with a fix by now, instead of just selling you more of their own hardware. Hey, if it works for Microsoft and AOL, why not jump on that bandwagon too? I'm sorry for being so cynical but, 'Once bitten, twice shy'. I wish you the best of luck, as I know the frustration all too well.
Thomas Beckingham
Occasional Advisor

I really hate to say it but for the most part it is necessary to buy their HP external floppy ... it sucks to be honest. There are some times when the nlite solution does work, and there are other times when a different external floppy drive will work, but most of the time you will need to just go an buy there stupid floppy ... I resented doing so, because it doesn't seem right... not even that you have to buy their stuff, but the fact you have to buy something to make something else work which should already work basically straight out of the box.

This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth!
JimFromSSCorp
Occasional Advisor

As I stated, HP did merge with Compaq. Remember the days of Compaq bastardizing all their stuff? I guess it's kinda like trying to get the dog crap off your shoe once you've already stepped in it.
Jeremy Witt

It has been a while since I had to wrestle with an ML110, but having to go through this one more time (5-10 more?), I started "messing" in the BIOS.

It may be pure coincidence, but...disabling USB 2.0 has allowed for that second mouse/keyboard click for the Pseudo device.

I really want to reboot the server and try again to be sure that was it, but if it wasn't, I don't want to waste another few hours...

If anyone else has the opportunity to test this "theory", please let the this thread know.

Thanks,
JDW
Jeremy Witt

I got brave and tried the reboot again, just to see. It worked twice in a row.

Somebody please try it and let us know!

Thanks,
JDW
Tony Dorman

Just to advise we also had the same issue the others have experienced in terms of the Server hanging at the Adaptec Suedo Device. I disabled USB2 in the BIOS and removed a second pair of drives(Second mirrored array) from the configuration and I've then been able to bypass the hang condition.. Given the information above it's pretty likely the resolution was disabling USB2 support (and like the others), I'm not planning on spending more time isolating the solution.

I might add, we have also stopped selling ML110 servers now and only sell ML310's as an entry level server. This is due to the sorts of issues we have had like this when trying to diagnose disk subsystem issues with Hostbased RAID controllers.
Adrian Schilling

Confirming - I had just put on my steel caps, and was just about to... :-/
Then I tried turning off USB2 in the BIOS as previously suggested and I was able to successfully get past the unsigned driver issue.
I have been struggling with this for some time, and soooo glad to finally have the solution.

BTW, my original problem was also not being able to get to 2nd base with the USB floppy. I was sent an e-mail by HP Support which allowed me to fix this. The title of the support article is
"HP ProLiant ML110 G3/G4 Server - Unable To Install SATA Drivers Using Third Party USB Floppy Drives And Some HP Branded Floppy Drives on ML110 G3/G4 Servers"