1753830 Members
9306 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Windows 2003 on ML370 G3

hrvojeg

Installing Windows 2003 on ML370 G3

Hi.

I got this server from a friend who didn't know what to do with it so I thought I'd give it a try but I ran into problems very soon - when installing Windows.

Ok, so what I do - I connected one disk to the controller ( I believe it's a 5300 controller ).
Then I put in SmartStart CD ( latest version for ML370 G3 ) and it successfully boots into SmartStart software.
I follow the setup instructions - enter the Windows key, wait for the files to be copied untill the SmartStart says to remove the Windows CD and reboot.

I don't understand why after rebooting I get choice of operating systems.
I get a choice - "Microsoft Windows" and "Microsoft Windows Install/Upgrade" while before anything I erased all data on the drive.

To me this looks like a corrupt installation where one installation was interrupted.

Anyways, when I choose "Microsoft Windows" first I get the SmartStart logo screen and then Windows continues with the setup. First Setup removes some temporary files and continues. When it gets to 100% the computer reboots and the process starts over.
Once again there's a choice "Microsoft Windows" or "Microsoft Windows Install/Upgrade" and when I choose Microsoft Windows everything goes again in a loop.

When I choose Install/Upgrade option then it says it can't find the temporary files ( which "Microsoft Windows" option deleted).

I would really appreciate any help with this issue - maybe you could guide me what to do and how.

Thanx.
3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Windows 2003 on ML370 G3

Hey!

nice to get a server to play with :)

To get rid of any existing data on the disk:

In the smartstart - can you get into the ACU? (Array configuration utility)
Delete any existing configuration and re-create an array and logical volume.
RobertMcHenry
Advisor

Good catch on the server! Will keep you busy for sure!. Note that you will not be able to run 64bit O/S on that box and/or Hyper-V.

Good suggestion on the prior post, smote the drives and start from scratch!. How much memory & what's the number/size of the drives?

Thanks

hrvojeg

Thanx for your help.
I'm not sure but I believe it's a dual 2.4 or 2.6 Xeon server with 4 Gb RAM and 2 147Gb hard drives.

I will try what you suggested but I'm pretty sure I already did wipe the disks clean. I used the erase utility within the smart start.