1753779 Members
7850 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Windows NT 4.0 with SP4

Rossiau
Occasional Advisor

Installing Windows NT 4.0 with SP4

We have a DL380 G3 with dual Xeon processor that needs to be installed with NT 4.0 and servicepack 4 (plus 2k hotfixes).

The reason it needs to have SP4 instead of SP6a is because of applications going to run on it.

I need to know whether the DL380 will work with SP4. Will all the (new) drivers work with SP4 or do they require SP6a?
3 REPLIES 3
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Jos,
Of course your Server will function with NT 4.0 SP4. Now which drivers do need SP6a or which don't it's looking for a needle in the hay stack that means it would be hard to pin point until unless you start having problems. On DL380s the latest support pack which is supported is 6.30 only for NT 4.0 whereas for the newer OS you can go to the latest support pack.
The bottom line is that it's not easy to find out as to what will work and what won't untill unless you try.

Regards,
Rossiau
Occasional Advisor

Hello Sunil,

I was affraid someone was going to say this.

I downloaded a number of NT4.0 drivers to check for any info on required servicepack and could not find any.

I know from other hardware suppliers that some recent drivers require a certain servicepack and therefore I suspected Compaq must have the same. To bad I cannot be sure in advance whether this is true or not.

The prospect of finding a needle in my server is not very pleasant either.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Jos,
I understand your dilema. I wish you could be more specific about the behavior of certain applications with certain drivers. You surely would appreciate that in this age and world it's not an easy task untill unless we encounter any problems.

All the best though.