1752815 Members
3996 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Windows SBS2003 onto ML150 G3 server

Justin Medcraft
Occasional Advisor

Installing Windows SBS2003 onto ML150 G3 server

I've read other posts on here with a similar subject but I want to start a new thread because I feel I have a new problem. I have already configured my two 160 Gb SATA disks into RAID 1 using the HP Embedded RAID controller. I have configured the drive as bootable using the RAID utility. I have also got a USB Floppy disk drive that works. I have inserted my Win SBS 2K3 disk and have booted from it. I press F6 when asked to do so and have inserted my driver disk which is picked up OK. Then when I attempt to go further I am told that there are 'still' no disks available and to confirm that any 3rd party controllers etc are properly configured and switched on. What on earth should I do from here? I look forward to a very swift response.
13 REPLIES 13
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Windows SBS2003 onto ML150 G3 server

Hi,

did you install this driver(if you have the onboard Adaptec SATA ctrl):

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1163831&prodNameId=3279687&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-9553913a25fe499aa09e22cfe2

are you using HP USB Floppy for the install?

If the HDD are connected to Smart Array ctrl, you need diff driver, if you have the intel ctrl, you need another...
In other words, which controller do you have in the server?

Pac

Ivor Shepcar
Occasional Advisor

I have had the same problem. Been looking for the F6 driver but HP's web link does not work!.

However the link provided in the previous reply does work and fixes the problem.

Best way to do this is

Enable RAID in BIOS and build Array at f8 prompt.

Use nLite (brilliant software - free download) to slipstrem driver (ver 1.2.5567.0 -12 Mar 2007) cp007490.exe onto a boot CD

Boot the CD and configure your partitions - no need for f6

Smile!
Justin Medcraft
Occasional Advisor

Very many thanks for all of your help guys. I'm now in the process of re-building my server. If I get any more questions I won't hesitate to ask them here as you've all been extremely helpful.

Justin
Ivor Shepcar
Occasional Advisor

All went well until it got into Windows and now I have 2 identical but separate drives again.

At startup it still shows RAID1 optimal, bootable

Still working on this

Anyone from HP there?
Justin Medcraft
Occasional Advisor

I've now got the problem that i've got an unrecognised item in my Device Manager. I'm guessing that it might be my second Processor as after I rebooted and logged on SBS carried out a check and told me that I needed to configure my NIC's as well as a Processor. Any ideas how I get this resolved? VMT
Ivor Shepcar
Occasional Advisor

The unknown device is usually the IMPI driver - even though it is not used.

Have you got a proper RAID (single physical drive) in windows Logical Disk Manager?

Mine is now showing 2 separate drives
Justin Medcraft
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I am only showing one logical drive. I'm guessing you're still experiencing problems with yours then? Have you tried different versions of the drivers? I found the link shown in this thread worked for me.
Ivor Shepcar
Occasional Advisor

yes that was the link.

Did your clear the RAID when you built it or just quickinit?

I've just done quickinit but am now doing a clear to see if that works - I have read that you need to do this
Justin Medcraft
Occasional Advisor

I carried out a quickinit which worked for me (so far). I am going back into work later and will post more on here if I come across any more problems. A problem shared is a problem halved. It's good to chat to other like minded people who are experiencing similar problems.