1752687 Members
5468 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Windows XP on Proliant DL360

Jonathan_88
Occasional Contributor

Installing Windows XP on Proliant DL360

I am trying to install Windows XP on a Compaq Proliant DL360. It has a "Compaq Integrated Smart Array Controller v1.40" installed.

The Windows XP Setup could not determine the mass storage device and asks for a "device support disk for a mass storage device".

Where can I get find the appropriate device support disk ?

Many Thanks
Jonathan
8 REPLIES 8
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi jonathan

proliant servers DO NOT support windows XP !!

----------------------------------------

if you want to install XP nevertheless there usually is a way - and i know of a way to get the array driver installed (at least it is worth to try)

--------------------------------------------

but FIRST you have to DECIDE if youn really want to install an OS that is NOT SUPPORTED by HP on nyour machine

best regards
ernesto
Jonathan_88
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ernesto,

Thank you for your response.

I really do want to install XP on a DL360.
Can you please tell me how to install the array driver.

Many thanks
Jonathan
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi jonathan

you need a smartstart cd (best is a 5.50) - but anyone should work.

look for a file called "cpqarry2.sys" - use the windows find file function and look for "cpqarr*.*".

go to the subsubdirectory. ther you should find an "*.INF" file.

rightclick the INF-file and select install.

that should do the job.

if NOT - contact me again (directly - ernst.limbrunner@web.de)

best regards from germany

ernesto
e4services
Honored Contributor

Jonathan,

I go to http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/1123.html?locale=en_US&prodSeriesId=254886
and try the lastest drives for 2000 and 2003 to check their compatibility. Most of the time they will work. You could load all the controller drivers on one disk and use that at install for Other Drivers to load
Report back so you can help others.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

sorry - forgot that you need a win 200/2003 driver (at least you can try one of them) - so you need a current smartstart cd or download the driver (you will need the inf-file !!)
Jonathan_88
Occasional Contributor

Ernesto,

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I did not manage to install XP on the DL360 and I have now been instructed to cut my loses and install 2003 instead.

For the record, this is what I did do:

1. Create a driver disk by copying the contents of the ├в \CPQSUPSW\NTSSD40\CPQARRY2├в directory on the Smart Start v.53 CD to a floppy disk.
2. Start the XP pro install by booting the DL360 with the XP pro CD in the CD drive.
3. Press f6 when setup asks to install non standard mass storage devices.
4. Install smart array 2 controllers from the floppy (created in 1.)
5. Continue with the XP setup.
6. XP setup stops because it can't find a hard disk.

There are two mass storage devices which can be installed from the floppy and I have tried both with the same result.

I have also tried the URL suggested by e4Services.com and tried each of the following drivers:

* HP ProLiant 32-Bit SCSI Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Server 2003
* HP ProLiant 64-Bit/66-Mhz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Controller Driver for Windows 2000
* HP ProLiant 64-Bit/66-Mhz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003
* HP ProLiant Drive Array Driver for Windows 2000/Server 2003
* HP ProLiant Drive Array Notification for Windows 2000/Server 2003
* HP ProLiant Smart Array 5x and 6x Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Server 2003
* HP ProLiant Smart Array-2 Controllers Driver for Windows Server 2003
* HP ProLiant Storage System Driver for Windows 2000/Server 2003

None of these worked.

If I just run the XP setup without installing nonstandard drivers I get the same message "cannot find a hard drive".

Thank you for your help,

Jon
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Just to be sure that this isn't the cause of the problem - you did create a logical drive before you tried to install XP ? If not then the controller driver may load but XP won't see any drives.

(I've never tried XP on a Proliant)
Jeroen J.V Lebon

Dear Jonathan.

Running Windows XP on a DL360 G3 dual prossesor is possible.
I am working in the finacial market as a IT Administrator.
I made a plan for migration ore very high end user at our dealing room to serverbased computing on a dl360.
This means that every trader gets a dl360 with windows XP as a workstation becaurse the performance and the spareparts are longe availble then our IBM intellistations.
Also there is a KVM system ( C-Station) connected to the dl360 wichs means that the dealers only got 4 screens and a bloomberg keybord and a mouse at his desk.
Wich results in a very high secure fysical enviorment, becaurse the systems a stored ( 17 dl360) in a compaq 1000 19inch kabinet in a locked and secured room.
The key to install Win Xp on the dl360 is very simpel.
1. Configure the raid controller 5i to use the disks as a mirror.
2. In the system bios make sure that the server is configured for windows 2000 / windows 2003 server operating system.
3. Check if the hyperthreading is disabled if you got no hyperthreading cpu installed.
if you got hyperthreading cpu installed leave it enabeld.
4. Get a win98se bootdisk and boot the dl360 with this disk.
create a primaire dos partition for the whole disk capercity.
Make sure the primaire dos partition is active and formated.
5. boot the dl360 from a windows XP sp1 cd.
and choice for f6 to install a different raid controller driver. use the driver for windows 2000 that is provided on the website from HP. Then contineu to install windows xp.
6. When installation is completed use for the NIC drivers also the 2000 drivers provided by HP.
7. YOU GOT WINOWS XP RUNNING ON A DL360 G3

Goodluck,

Jeroen J.V Lebon