3462 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Installing Windows server W2K12 on a Proliant DL380 G7

Boucq
Advisor

Installing Windows server W2K12 on a Proliant DL380 G7

Hi,

I'm trying to install a W2K12 on a DL380 G7 with 2 smart array controllers (P410i and P212).

When I run the installer, I can see the logical volumes but when I chose one , I always get this message: 

"we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one..."

I even tried to load the driver for the P410i but it doesn't change anything.

Any idea please ?

Thanks.

Eric

8 REPLIES 8
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

I tried these steps in one of our cases:

Note: This process will remove all data/existing partitions on the existing drives, use with caution.

1. Restart the setup again.
2. Choose Repair option, then go to the Advanced tools and start the command line.
In the command line, type the following commands:

Type DISKPART
Type LIST DISK and identify the hard disk number (from 0 to n disks)
Type SELECT DISK <n> where <n> is the SSD disk number
Type CLEAN
Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
Type ACTIVE
Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
Type ASSIGN
Type EXIT twice (once to get out of DiskPart, the other to exit the command line tool)

Reboot the server and start the installation again.

Also see this Answer from Microsoft.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Boucq
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll follow your advice next time coz I was in a hurry and couldn't wait anymore.

So I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 and next upgraded the OS to 2012.

It works fine now.

Thanks again.

Eric

waaronb
Respected Contributor

That's strange... I've done fresh installs of Server 2012 (and 2012 R2) on a DL360 G7 with the built-in P410, and it went just fine.  I dind't have an extra P212 or anything in there, so I don't know if that would make a difference.

I'm fairly sure that Windows has default drivers for those array controllers that works fine, so I wouldn't expect it to be related to not having disk drivers ready during the installation.

Usually when I setup a server, I'll create my array first and if I'm not planning to use all of the array space for the OS, I'll use the graphical array setup to create a logical drive on there just big enough for whatever I want the OS drive to be.  I try not to use disk partitions these days... I used to, but creating different logical array sizes seems like a more elegant way to go, and you can use different RAID levels in the same array if you want which can be handy.

During the Windows setup where it asks where to install, then I can just select the drive I want and if it happens to have any data or partitions already setup (reinstalling on an existing system), I'll delete all the partitions and then select that blank drive, so Windows can just create all of it's default recovery and boot partitions and whatever else.  No muss, no fuss.

Never had a problem that way... I guess if you were trying to setup a boot volume on the P212, then *maybe* Windows doesn't have default drivers for it?  Or maybe you need to change the boot order of your array controllers in the HP setup, in case Windows is confused (looking for boot info on the wrong drive during startup)?

Unless you've changed things, I *think* HP's will default to using the internal array controller first and then whatever other extra array controllers.

Boucq
Advisor

Thanks for your reply.

Even after taking out the P212, I would still have the problem.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Eric

gavlyle

I Know that this is old however I thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth to maybe help someone else who comes along this thread. 

I had the same problem and it was because I was using a USB 3 stick to install from. 

When I changed to a USB 2 stick it worked fine!

Cheers

Gavin

justjeff
Occasional Advisor

You know, instead of all that messing around with going back and choosing "Repair," you can just do the little-known trick of "Shift-F10" , go right to CMD prompt, do not pass Go, do not collect $200, do diskpart, DONE.

Enjoy!

JM

GaryPSr

I have to create partitions before I can install the Server2012. How do I create these CD's?

HanyMahmoud

this worked for me like sharm, after long time trying

thank you