ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753785 Members
7522 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing a DVD ROM in an ML350 G3

Milton Bliss

Installing a DVD ROM in an ML350 G3

I have an HP DVD ROM Drive model SOHD-16P9S which works perfectly in my ML350 G2, but when installed in my G3 disallows POST to begin. The power turns on but the memory is never seen, the BIOS messages do not display, the Internal Health LED indicator glows red.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Upon removing the IDE cable from the DVD ROM drive the problem is relieved the POST succeds and the Internal Health LED glows green. Connecting a CD ROM in place of the DVD ROM, still allows the computer to boot successfully.

The DVD ROM drive is good, the IDE cable is good, the computer is good, but they are incompatible.
4 REPLIES 4
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Milton,

DVD-ROM Drive Option Kit 217053-B21

Is this the one you are using ?

The DVD-ROM drive is supported in the CD-ROM bay and in the removable media bay. If placed in the removable media bay, it requires the 2-Device IDE cable (PN 305381-B21).

Could u try this cable ?

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11430_div/11430_div.html

Regards,
Milton Bliss

I'm unclear what the DVD-ROM Drive Option Kit 217053-B21 includes therefore I assume I'm not using it.

The CD-ROM bay and the removable media bay are the exact same thing except for physical location. Therefore, I'm reluctant to spend money on a cable. IDE cables are a well established standard I don't believe a different one would help. After all the existing cable works on a CD-ROM.

Besides I'm replacing the CD-ROM drive, therefore the instructions indicate the existing cable should work.

You wrote to AustinL the same response 7-11-2008 6:06:00. Yet no one has ever written back saying the cable actually helped.

In fact I have yet to read about any one ever making a DVD ROM work in an ML 350 G3.

It works perfect in a G2, Windows Server 2008 loads and runs fine, but a the DVD does not work in a G3, it makes no sense to me.
Milton Bliss

The solution is to NOT install a DVD ROM, instead connect a USB DVD ROM drive. The server will boot from that USB connected DVD ROM drive, Windows Server 2008 can then be installed.
Milton Bliss

USB DVD ROM drive can be a boot drive.