108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing a SATA RAID card

SOLVED
Go to solution
Einherjer
Occasional Contributor

Installing a SATA RAID card

I would appreciate if someone could help me with the following problem as I am running out of ideas:

I have a Proliant DT360 G3 server and want to install a SATA RAID card to have two SATA II drives running in RAID 1.

I purchased the following PCI-X card:

http://www.satasite.com/esata-sata-ii-4-port-raid.htm

I put it in the server - Windows detected it and I installed the drivers from the SLI website. BIOS also detects the card. Also, on bootup, there are 3 lines about the model and version number of this card.

So it seems like its working, right?

I connected a 500GB SATA II Western Digital drive to the card, turned it on, turned the server on, and when it booted up, thre is no sight of the new drive. It is not in Disk Manager or My Computer.

The only thing that I can think of is that its the enclosure that I'm using on the hard drive. It was cheap and it does SATA to USB and SATA to eSATA. The SATA to USB work perfectly fine, but the SATA to eSATA seems to have problems.

I'm waiting for a SATA to eSATA cable to test it out directly, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I could look at meanwhile.

Thank you for your help in advance,
2 REPLIES 2
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Installing a SATA RAID card

hi

you inserted the card, you added HDDs, you see controller and HDDs but did you configured your RAID? during POST?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Einherjer
Occasional Contributor

Re: Installing a SATA RAID card

Well, my goal right now is to get at least one drive visible and workng. I thought that I didn't have to configure anything for that.

I do have installed this software RAID configuration program, but when it loads on startup, it says that no devices are attached.

During POST there is an option to configure the server's built in SCSI array, but not my new SATA array.