ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753666 Members
5902 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing a Smart Array 4200 in a 6400R

Darrell_20

Installing a Smart Array 4200 in a 6400R

I am trying to install a 4200 array card (401859-001) into a 6400R and I am having problems.

If the card is in slot 5, I get "PCI Error PCI Slot 05." And when I reboot I see "A Critical Error occurred prior to this power-up." The LEDs from top to bottom - off - steady green - off - slow blink blue - off - off - off- fast blink amber.

If the card is any other slot I get "Scanning for SCSI Devices... No SCSI Devices Detected." Smart Start 5.50 complains "The PCI board in slot 6 cannot be configured by this utility. It uses a PCI header type that is not recognized." The LEDs all show steady green - green - blue - amber - amber - amber - amber.

Thanks for your help.
4 REPLIES 4
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

... The LEDs from top to bottom - off - steady green - off - slow blink blue - off - off - off- fast blink amber ...

all LED are OK, Controller is idle and heartbeat is active, no load to controller. Verify System ROM at 6400R

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/9343.html

Don't connect any cables to Controller test it firstly as card only.

Clear NVRAM from System Maintenance Switch
Darrell_20

Thanks for the reply.

The 6400R ROM has been set to that version. I used the 7.20 ROMPaq disk and updated all other ROMs in the systme. And I have tried the NVRAM clear switch several times.

Testing the card without the cable attached had the same results.

I also tried moving around RAM, drives, and removed all other cards (2 NICs).

When the controller is in slots 2-5 I get the same "PCI Error PCI Slot" error and the server halts.

When the card is in 6 or 1 I get the card "uses a PCI header type that is not recognized" from SmartStart.

Bad array card? Bad main board?

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Darrell
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

If any other card working fine in the slots, most likely 4200, also difference between errors some slots are hot plug verify by user guide
Darrell_20

I think you are right. The 4200 appears to be bad. The NICs function fine in all slots.

Thanks for the help.