Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing a Smart Array 641 controller into DL380

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris_484
Occasional Visitor

Installing a Smart Array 641 controller into DL380

I'm just about to buy a DL380 with 3 36 GB hard drives set up in a Raid 5 configuration using the built-in 5i controller. What I would like to know is if at a later date I decide to install a Smart Array 641 will it be a big job (eg. backup data, do job, restore data etc) to re-create my Raid array on the new controller or will it be simply, pull HDs out, delete array, install SA641, put HDs in, rebuild array and all my OS/data/apps will re-appear?
3 REPLIES
Justin Lee
Occasional Visitor

Re: Installing a Smart Array 641 controller into DL380

The RAID array setup is stored in the RAID controllers memoery. Switch cards and the new controller will have no idea about whats on the drives or how it was setup.

I do remember however replacing a bad controller card once. If I recall correctly we just created the set identical to the last one (I think we used blank drives) once we had the set created we powered down and then plugged in the working drives.
Chris_484
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for that Justin. I'm still wondering if I do the change-over like you did but use the same harddrives will all the os/data/applications still be there when I power it up or will I have to blank the drives and restore from backup?
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor
Solution

The RAID setup is stored on controller mameory AND on the hard drives. If a Smart Array controller is replaced then the replacement controller reads the RAID configuration from the drives.

If you install the 641 and connect the array to it then you have to change the controller boot order.

If Smart 5i and 641 use the same driver then the system may be able to boot. I'm not sure but I believe they use a different driver so before adding the 641 install its driver.