6419 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing a sata II on ML350 G4p

Nick Bowers
Advisor

Installing a sata II on ML350 G4p

Hi,
I just brought a sata2 drive for my ML350 G4p and it wont detect it. Im not sure what i need to do in the bios. Does anyone?
Many Thanks
Nick
7 REPLIES 7
Aks2
Valued Contributor

Hi

Tell us more about the issue, was there SATA hdd's already on the server and was it configured in a RAID,

I belevie that the embeded SATA controller does not support SATA II(3 Gb/s) hdd, only SATA (1.5Gb/s supported).

cheers,
Akarsh
Nick Bowers
Advisor

Hi,
It has one SCSI drive installed as well. No HDD's installed will be ruunning raid. Should the HDD automaticly turn down to 1.5gb/s or do i have to do it my self? if i have to do it how do i do it?
Cheers
Aks2
Valued Contributor

Hi Nick,
I checked the chipset details of the server.. it shows that it only supports 1.5Gb/s,

According to the hard drive manufacturer Maxtor, motherboard host controllers using the VIA and SIS chipsets VT8237, VT8237R, VT6420, VT6421L, SIS760, SIS964 found on the ECS 755-A2 which was manufactured in 2003, do not support SATA II 300 drives. To address interoperability problems, the largest hard drive manufacturer Seagate/Maxtor have added a user-accessible jumper-switch known as the Force 150, to select between SATA-150 and SATA/300 operation[2]. Users with a SATA-150 motherboard with one of the listed chipsets should either buy an ordinary SATA-150 hard disk, buy a SATA-300 hard disk with the user-accessible jumper, or buy a PCI or PCI-E card to add full SATA II capability and compatibility.

i got this info from the following link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Backward_and_forward_compatibility

cheers,
Akarsh
Aks2
Valued Contributor

Mr James, Correct me if Im wrong, PSP for DL140 server?.

This is the link for the latest PSP 7.90, check if any of the 100 series servers are listed in the systems supported list:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/3376.html

Cheers
Akarsh
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Ya Dude... u r right, But I believe U have replied to the wrong thread.

By the way, nice to see u here !!

Cheers !
Aks2
Valued Contributor

Sorry Nick,
the previous post was meant for a different post.
My appologies..

Thanks Sujith for updating us.

Regards,
Akarsh
Nick Bowers
Advisor

Hi,
No worries, Thanks for all your help.
Cheers