3820 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing a second SCII hard drive to a ML330 G3

Luis_131
Regular Advisor

Installing a second SCII hard drive to a ML330 G3

Good afternoon,

Can you please help me guys?. I have a ML330 G3 server with one hard disk installed, but I want to install a second hard disk on it. Do I need to do any special thing to make my Windows 2003 server recognize the new hard disk?.
Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing a second SCII hard drive to a ML330 G3

Is the drive currently installed attached to an array controller? If not, then you should be able to add a second drive with the only change being to the scsi id.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Luis_131
Regular Advisor

Hi Terry and thanks for your quick answer.
The drive is not attached to an array controller right now. So all I have to do is connect the second hard drive to one of the extensions that has the cable where the first hard disk is connected already?.
This hard disk is internal and do I need to do any other special thing after connecting the hard drive or all I have to do is go to the computer management and format the disk?.
Thanks!!.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I'm assuming the next drive you put in is going to be for more storage and not for an OS. Assuming that is the case, you will need to make sure the scsi id on the next drive is set higher than the current drive id. You can determine the id on the current drive during POST. The server should show this, along with the model #, when the scsi adapter initializes.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Luis_131
Regular Advisor

Hi Terry.
You are right, it is for more storage. So the server will detect this new hard disk and all I have to do is assign an id letter to this new drive and format it automatically?.