5233 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing hotswap in HP ProLiant ML310 G5

Michael Lykkegaard

Installing hotswap in HP ProLiant ML310 G5

Hi,

First of all: I'm a noob!

Can anyone give me a description on how to setup to hotswap disk in my server and run raid-1 (mirror) on them.

I have one HD (the one that comes with the server) which runs with 2 partions (C: & S:)

I have bought to hotswap HP HD that I want to run in raid-1.

I have inserted them into the front of the server but I'm unable to see them in diskmanagement.
4 REPLIES 4
TTr
Honored Contributor

> have bought to hotswap HP HD that I want to run in raid-1.

What kind of raid controller does your server have? You have to get in the raid controller and configure the disks in raid-1 and create volumes. Then the volumes will show up on the OS as disks and you can partition them.
Michael Lykkegaard

I believe its the build-in raid controller (on-board) ... however I haveno clue on how to access the controller ... I rather not go through BIOS since a reboot is last resort :-)
TTr
Honored Contributor

There is a raid configuration utility which should be installed on your server.

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00771065/c00771065.pdf

> I have one HD (the one that comes with the server...

> I have bought to hotswap HP

Is that two hotswap disks? So you have total 3 disks? Do you plan on copying from the original disk to the new mirrored pair raid-1?
Michael Lykkegaard

I have the "standard" HD from the server which is in two partitions. Drive C: and S:

I dont want to change this; system is running on C:

I want to run raid-1 on the two new disk because my server is running a bit slow due to SBS 2008, exchange and MS SQL 2005 - so I need to put either exchange or SQL on the new disks (prob. SQL) and since it will be running our business-system I need it to be rather "safe" while I├Г┬╕m still running backupexec from symantec.